FS or Hardtail for the winter

rockmonkeysc
rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
edited October 2010 in MTB general
Do I put my full sus bike in to semi hibernation for winter & bring the hardtail back in service as my main bike until the spring?
My full sus bike has got an awful lot of linkages, bearings, bushes etc will they stay good after six months of mud and crap?

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Depends where you live, if you're somewhere rocky which doesn't get too muddy then stick with FS, if your local trails are going to be under 6" of crap all winter then FS is just extra weight to lug around, more places to clog and clean and bearings to wear out!
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,753
    As above, depends what the trails are like where you're going, but you could just use the FS a bit less than normal. Also your HT is cheaper I think so you should be less bothered about getting it all cacked up.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Do I put my full sus bike in to semi hibernation for winter & bring the hardtail back in service as my main bike until the spring?
    My full sus bike has got an awful lot of linkages, bearings, bushes etc will they stay good after six months of mud and crap?

Just ride the bloody thing. That's what it's for.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If anything I'd be riding the full sus more, but depends what you ride. It's not going to get any flatter or smoother just because it's winter.

If it's technical terrain or DH, ride the knarl and crud on the full sus, winter or summer. Keep the HT for tow paths & XC rides. Though if you have the serious tyres on the full sus, I'd be riding that in the crud and snow regardless.

And yeah the components will stay good. Just wash it and check wear on the chain same as you always should. Only thing that needs extra servicing on a full sus are pivots and mud won't make much difference to when you do this.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Isn't that what I said, just slightly more economically?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Yeah :D
  • me personally would just ride the hardtail over winter :)
    carrera vengeance ultimate 11
    specialized hardrock sport pro 05
    commencal combi disc 08
    trek 3900 04
  • Convert the HT to SS. :D
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Thats a nice idea but I'm too fat & lazy to ride a single speed. The local trails get pretty manky (bloody horses) maybe keep the FS for frosty mornings & trips to trail centres
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I'd say if it's muddy then it does get flatter and easier over winter, hence the hardtail!
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    I'd say if it's muddy then it does get flatter and easier over winter,

? glaciation?