super record crankset bolt

markyone
markyone Posts: 1,119
edited October 2010 in Workshop
hi all fitted my crankset last night and rode today.
when i got back the crank was slightly loose and had to tighten it up again will i need to
use a thread lock or is it just wearing in?
Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
Pinarello F8 with sram etap

Comments

• unless you use a torque wrench, set to the proper torque setting, how do you know if you have tightened it to the correct tightness ?
    torque wrench settings are probably on manufactures website somewhere.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    There's a disc washer under the screw head and unless you used an extension bar, you probably didn't get it tight enough - there should be no bedding-in if installed correctly, the BB shell is in-spec and the cups fitted right. If you want belt and braces, some medium Loctite wouldn't do any harm.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    i think you are supposed to use some threadlock arent you? - type 254 if i remember right - at least you did on the earlier record UT cranks - 254 is low-strenght stuff and comes undone if you want it to!
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    Don't bother with a torque wrench, just do it up as tight as you can, and Loctite Threadlock or Screwlock every time.
  • gkerr4
    gkerr4 Posts: 3,408
    ^^ agree - the torque setting for the bolt is so high that "tight as you can" will fit the bill nicely.
  • markyone
    just did not want to crank it up just in case something cracked, but i have gave it a good turn see what happens on next ride.
  • dmch2
    dmch2 Posts: 731
    Depends what you tighten it with. spanners were designed so that an average male pulling hard (but not leaning on it) would do the bolt up to the right torque for that size of bolt.

but different material grades muck that up as does using the same ratchett wrench for everything or standing on the end of a breaker bar...

But generally on a bike as tight as you reasonably can with a normal allen key is about right.
    2010 Trek 1.5 Road - swissstop green, conti GP4000S
    2004 Marin Muirwoods Hybrid
  • 2alexcoo
    2alexcoo Posts: 251
    Torque spec for those bolts is 42Nm, or so it says on the bolt anyway:

52659.jpg

That's pretty chuffing tight.I use an extension bar on mine now and lean on it pretty good. It doesn't come loose any more!
    Alex
  • markyone
    thanks for that will give it a good turn cheers
  • gkerr4 wrote:
    i think you are supposed to use some threadlock arent you? - type 254 if i remember right - at least you did on the earlier record UT cranks - 254 is low-strenght stuff and comes undone if you want it to!

No, Loctite 222. It's purple.