Any FS 29er riders out there?

scale20
scale20 Posts: 1,300
edited October 2010 in MTB general
I am testing the water before I buy so I want to get as much advice and info I can.

My current full sus is a Pace 506, however my other is a fully rigid On One scandal 29er. I have found myself leaving the Pace at home more and more and riding the 29er, its an absolute dream to ride.

To that end I am looking at leaving the world of 26inch and building a nice FS 29er and selling the pace.

Frames I am looking at are the Niner RIP 9

7060_l.jpg

And the Titus Rockstar

titus-rockstar-29er-10-zoom.jpg

Both are about the same price but vary in travel slightly. Does anyone here have any experience with either of those bikes? I plan on heading up to Stif in Leeds week after next to look at the niner frames but struggling to find anywhere but wiggle that do the titus.

Cheers in advance. :)
Niner Air 9 Rigid
Whyte 129S 29er.

Comments

• Mark_K
    Mark_K Posts: 666
    Both fantastic frames and I'm sure you'll be happy which ever you chose, I looked at both before i pushed the boat out and bought my Gary Fisher Superfly 100! I would say with FS 29ers dont get hung up on a bike that's "only got 100mm travel" I found that FS 29ers feel like they have more travel + i tend to run my suspension stiffer than i do on my 26er ? No doubt about it they are different beasts to ride but they do fly when you get the feel for them :)
  • scale20
    Cheers for the reply Mark. I really like the look of the superfly the only problem for me is the G2 Geometery. I had a 2009 GF Big Sur Ht but I had to get rid after riding it for 6 months because of the G2.

I have been doing a lot of reading up and that is the general consensus that you do feel that you have a lot more suspension than you actually have on them.

How do you find the steering with the flat bars on yours? some do say that steering response on 29ers is slow, I use the on-one feegle bars on mine and its sharp as a razor.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • Mark_K
    Mark_K Posts: 666
    I found the 12deg sweep odd at first and swapped to a wide low riser then i realized why they came with a wide flat bar with such a big sweep ..... because they just work !!!
    So i refitted them,Takes a while to get used to them and i dumped the spacers to drop the front end height i love the handling and for me the G2 geo works lovely but yer your right G2 can be a bit hit or miss ?
    As for your choice i think i would go with the R.I.P9 with a 120mm Reba on it or if you want it as a all rounder hold on till next year rumour is there will be a RS 140mm travel adjust 29er fork 8) !!!!
  • scale20
    These are the bars from on-one that i use on my scandal.

2010_03060007.jpg

They seem to do the job nicely, however I have not tried it with anything else so wouldn't know the difference.

Being tried and tested I will probably have these on the new build.

I can't wait till next year for the forks :lol:
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.