Rebuild of FS or New Hardtail?

smiley_boy2501
smiley_boy2501 Posts: 126
edited October 2010 in MTB general
I currently have a 1997 Marin Quake 9.0 FRS. It was (is) a bit special, but was put in a shed and forgotten about for a few years. I got it out a few months ago and its pretty much the same as it was when it was bought in terms of major components, e.g. the front suspension forks are Manitou Answer 60mm. If you still don't know type '1997 marin qauke 9.0' into google. Theres like 2 results but there is a picture on one and a bit of info on the other.

I am deliberating between updating this to modern standards and trying to forget about the common snapping problem or selling the frame/other sellable parts and building/buying a hardtail.

I currently do no MTBing to speak of, but this is because i'm currently poor and live on the wrong side of Manchester. However i have done a lot before, mainly trails, nothing to technical and i'll be working up from this in the future. The bike also has to double up as a short commuter (no more than 15 miles, usually less than 5 miles per day) and be able to withstand me jumping on and off kurbs wrecklessly.

Apologies for the essay.

Thoughts?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I remember this bike - was a decent machine in its day, albeit a little weighty. My advice would be to service it and see how you get on. Can always then decide to sell, or anothe rplan.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    If the shocks have anything left in them and the rest of it moves in some sort of fashion, put it on a trail as is and see how you go. If nothing is working on it now probably head over to retrobike and try and move it on over there and pick up a sensible beginner model HT - you'll probably be amazed how good a new bike is!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    [does quick google] - that is a cool looking bike - fix it up!

I gave a 2000 esra quake frame to my mates wife to use - it was a solid ass hardtail which now looks like a pretty light weight little bike.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.