Forum home Mountain biking forum MTB workshop & tech

Bleeding Avid Elixir 4

bennett_346bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
edited October 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Im a little confused as to how bleeding works, but i would like to do it myself when the time comes, not just put it in a shop. I have avid elixir 4 brakes which have the elixir 5 lever assembly and juicy 3 caliper. Strange arrangement, i know, they were stock. What bleed kit would i have to buy and how would it differ from normal bleeding procedures, if at all?

Thanks for any help.

• ali$tairali$tair Posts: 373
    You just need the Avid one, i got it for £29 off ebay which I wthink was worth it as included a great instruction book and everything you need.

It was my first time doing it and I found it really easy, the kit will pay itself off after 2 bleeds as my LBS was charging £15 a wheel.

It's just a case of creating a vaccum with 2 syringes, pumping the air out and replacing it with brake fluid.
    Trek Fuel EX 8 (2010)
  • bennett_346bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    When i look for avid bleed kits online they seem model specific, for example juicy or elixir, and different fluids, so i need to know precisely what to buy. I know barely anything about them.

EDIT: CRC seem to stock only one avid bleed kit, and it says juivcy but from what i can tell it applies to all their brakes. Is this what you meant?
  • nicklousenicklouse Posts: 50,675 Lives Here
    yes it does all avid brakes and a few others as well.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
    This greatly simplifies things, cheers for that guys.
  • ali$tairali$tair Posts: 373
    When i look for avid bleed kits online they seem model specific, for example juicy or elixir, and different fluids, so i need to know precisely what to buy. I know barely anything about them.

EDIT: CRC seem to stock only one avid bleed kit, and it says juivcy but from what i can tell it applies to all their brakes. Is this what you meant?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Avid-Disc-Brake-B ... 43a22caf78

Thats the one i got, came within 2 days
    Trek Fuel EX 8 (2010)
    If that kit uses DOT 5.1, will it matter what fluid is currently in my brakes?
  • nicklousenicklouse Posts: 50,675 Lives Here
    not really as you dont have brakes that use Mineral oil.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
    In that case i'll go for 5.1. Thanks for the help.
  • MTB NutMTB Nut Posts: 46
    I have exactly the same brakes as you and I just bled mine for the first time. Piece of cake and the difference now is great. Just take your time and follow the guide.

I can stop on a dime now and get no brake judder or squeal.

after the bleed process, I pulled in the lever a few times (gently) until the pads were a couple of mm from each other without the wheels in, then pushed the pad spacer block in and realigned each caliper. Well chuffed.

:D