Bleeding Avid Elixir 4

bennett_346
bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
edited October 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Im a little confused as to how bleeding works, but i would like to do it myself when the time comes, not just put it in a shop. I have avid elixir 4 brakes which have the elixir 5 lever assembly and juicy 3 caliper. Strange arrangement, i know, they were stock. What bleed kit would i have to buy and how would it differ from normal bleeding procedures, if at all?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• ali$tair
    ali$tair Posts: 373
    You just need the Avid one, i got it for £29 off ebay which I wthink was worth it as included a great instruction book and everything you need.

It was my first time doing it and I found it really easy, the kit will pay itself off after 2 bleeds as my LBS was charging £15 a wheel.

It's just a case of creating a vaccum with 2 syringes, pumping the air out and replacing it with brake fluid.
    Trek Fuel EX 8 (2010)
  • bennett_346
    When i look for avid bleed kits online they seem model specific, for example juicy or elixir, and different fluids, so i need to know precisely what to buy. I know barely anything about them.

EDIT: CRC seem to stock only one avid bleed kit, and it says juivcy but from what i can tell it applies to all their brakes. Is this what you meant?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes it does all avid brakes and a few others as well.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bennett_346
    This greatly simplifies things, cheers for that guys.
  • ali$tair
    ali$tair Posts: 373
    When i look for avid bleed kits online they seem model specific, for example juicy or elixir, and different fluids, so i need to know precisely what to buy. I know barely anything about them.

EDIT: CRC seem to stock only one avid bleed kit, and it says juivcy but from what i can tell it applies to all their brakes. Is this what you meant?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Avid-Disc-Brake-B ... 43a22caf78

Thats the one i got, came within 2 days
    Trek Fuel EX 8 (2010)
  • bennett_346
    If that kit uses DOT 5.1, will it matter what fluid is currently in my brakes?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    not really as you dont have brakes that use Mineral oil.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • bennett_346
    In that case i'll go for 5.1. Thanks for the help.
  • MTB Nut
    MTB Nut Posts: 46
    I have exactly the same brakes as you and I just bled mine for the first time. Piece of cake and the difference now is great. Just take your time and follow the guide.

I can stop on a dime now and get no brake judder or squeal.

after the bleed process, I pulled in the lever a few times (gently) until the pads were a couple of mm from each other without the wheels in, then pushed the pad spacer block in and realigned each caliper. Well chuffed.

:D