Struggling for motivation in the dark

Boy Lard
Boy Lard Posts: 445
edited October 2010 in MTB general
I've lost 3 stones in the last 5 months due entirely to cycling. I've not changed what I eat or drink at all. I was going out 2-3 times during the week, and then a nice big ride on a Saturday. However, now that it's getting dark so early I'm finding it really hard to get motivated to get out on the bike. When it was warm and sunny, even if it was very wet, I didn't have any problems jumping on the bike and heading out on my own. Now the thought of a 3 hour night ride, on my own, then leaving the bike covered in mud overnight, does not appeal to me at all. Riding at weekends is still no problem, but I don't think that will be enough to maintain my weight loss.

I am seriously considering getting a road bike, because I am reasonably sure that if I join a gym it will last about 2 weeks and then I'll get bored.

How often do you ride during the week? Do you go out on your own? Do you do any additional exercise during the winter months?

Comments

• weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    I'm fortunate that we have a gym at work, so that breaks the day up instead of sitting in the restaurant eating pizza lol.

Also i work from home 2 days a week, so get at least an hour and half out that day :)
  • mak3m
    mak3m Posts: 1,394
    just havent been able to get out regularly recently work and home life getting in the way, since the begining of the summer i too have lost over 3 stones in weight and im desperate to keep it that way.

just invested in a decent light to get some night riding in, as after dark seems to be the only opportuinty im going to get through the week.

i always call my midweek rides maintenance rides, never have the time to get anywhere decent so end up doing laps round a local resivour. Suppose your motivation will have to be that the night rights give you the legs to go further, longer and stronger on your fun weekend ride

gl
  • Just consider winter at the time for base training. If you can stick it consider the platform you'll have for next next spring! :D
    What wheels...? Wheelsmith.co.uk!
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    we always do a night ride once a week....

Nothing better than a nice cold and dry, dark night for having a hoot....

it can get a bit....erm...scary....in a manly way of course on your todd though....much better with a mate or two....

Its when you are sat having a little jelly baby half way round...in the darkest bt of the woods....that you start to hear the rustling....then an awreness of loads of little eyes staring at you from the bushes.....bwahahahah
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    If you're riding laps on a familiar loop you don't even need top notch lights. I love riding in the dark - though it tends to be early mornings with me - fewer people out, lower temperature, more atmospheric. It's just something you get used to.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I've not been working for the last 2 months, so I've had tonnes of time to ride during the day with other people, which is great, but I normally manage 5 days a week all through winter, mainly on the road, maybe one, at most 2 MTB rides.

Can you ride to work? That's easy training, I rode 17 miles each way to work, 3-4 days a week (taking a week's worth of shirts on the Monday), then a decent ride either or both days at the weekend depending on other commitments.

When I finish/get home from work the last thing I want to do is go out, I find it much easier to do the bulk of my training in the morning, then just take the straight route home from work and have done with it. YMMV.
  • Boy Lard
    I started by cycling to work, but it's only 4 miles away, and I have no shower/changing facilities. Dawdling along for 15-20 minutes seemed tough 5 months ago, but it barely feels like exercise anymore.

Think I will just have to find someone to ride with on an evening.
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    I go out for a 10-12 mile loop one evening a week... and as my start time is often 9:00 or even 9:30 pm it's been a solo night ride most of the year.

I think it helps that it's not too long - I'm not sure I'd get out the door for a 3 hour nightride midweek :D . It also helps that it is a familiar route (which I can vary depending on how I feel). After the first 10 minutes I'm starting to get warm and into into my rhythmn - and after 35 minutes I'm on the 'big climb', knowing I'm nearly halfway round and that it's pretty much all downhill to finish.

It's the getting out the door that's the hardest part. I do check the forecast and pick an evening when the weather is half decent... it's supposed to be fun, and if I've a choice of days I'll pick the one that looks best. If there's a full moon and clear skies then the choice is a simple one!
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • njee20
    I started by cycling to work, but it's only 4 miles away, and I have no shower/changing facilities. Dawdling along for 15-20 minutes seemed tough 5 months ago, but it barely feels like exercise anymore.

So take a longer route, make it 15 miles, then come home the direct route or whatever, IMO that takes far less motivation than doing a ride at the end of the day. You're also fresher in the morning, so you get more out of the training, at the end of the day you're knackered and just want to get home.
  • lochussie
    lochussie Posts: 276
    During all that stuff that isn't the greatest fun (going for a run, doing circuits, riding a dull route) I just think of how it will pay off when I'm doing what I really like (shredding trails and kayaking off waterfalls).
  • solsurf
    solsurf Posts: 489
    I find the biggest tip for winter riding is to head out as early as possible it feels like you are making the most of the daylight. However if you wait until lunch and faff about then the thought of the dark can put you off. So get ready the day before and get out early, oh yes and get some nice winter kit.

hope this helps
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Get a road bike, it's a very different experience and enjoyable in different ways. Just be sure to have lights on even in the afternoon when it's relatively bright as cyclists can be damn hard to see at this time of year. I find road biking to be a much better work out than mtb.

At this time of year be sure to get a bike you can stick mudguards on, even if it's not raining but the road is wet they make a big difference in keeping you and the bike clean.

As for the mtb get some decent lights plus a headtorch and enjoy the different experiences you get at night. Poor lights will ruin the whole thing.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • Boy Lard
    Yeah, I have a god set of lights thanks to diy's shopping list.

I've never done any road riding but I'm surprised that you find road riding a better work out than mtbing. Either way, I may need more room in the shed.
  • njee20
    Road riding is far more constant than MTBing, you are pedalling much more, or rather not pedalling much less. It's also more consistent, an MTB ride can change with the conditions, so it's nearly impossible to ride at a certain level (if that's your aim), whilst road riding isn't really like that.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I'm surprised that you find road riding a better work out than mtbing.

With road biking you can put in as much effort as you want, whenever you want. I tend to try and keep my speed over 20mph or more and that can be a tall order sometimes. I'm normally working out pretty hard, all the time.

Off road I tend to still put in the effort but often you're restricted by the nature of the terrain as to how fast you can go. As you're going slower there's less wind resistance (which varies with speed^2) and that's a big energy saving.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • senoj
    senoj Posts: 213
    Try and ride with someone.
    Much easier if theres a few of you going out for a quick hour.
    Winter riding for me is always less serious and im not really bothered about getting fitter.
    Its a case of mountain bike mid week,roadbike early on the weekend.
  • BigJimmyB
    BigJimmyB Posts: 1,302
    I ride on Sunday AM and either Tue/Wed/Thu evening with a riding buddy.

I would say finding a riding buddy will help you.

You could also go for a turbo trainer - keep a spare wheel with the right tyre (there are trainer-specific ones) and (assuming you have the space) you can pop that on and grab some turbo time here and there.

I don't worry about cleaning the bike unless it's very bad, then I do it on Sat (and get it muddy again Sunday AM!). I used to be obsessed but just don't have the time nowadays.

The worst bit for me is getting in at 10:30 and having to wash myself and my riding gear (which is always sweaty if not muddy) before I go to bed.
  • Boy Lard wrote:
    Think I will just have to find someone to ride with on an evening.

This will make a world of difference. For years I've been doing night rides on my own (bar the odd one with a mate) and as much as I enjoyed it I often found it hard to muster the enthusiasm and was getting bogged down with doing the same old routes week in week out (exploring new routes in the dark aint always fun)

Recently thought I've found a bunch who go out for a mid week night ride - different routes, different pace, a beer afterwards... definitely helps the motivation.
  • Stoo61
    Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
    If you have some cash burning a hole then get a road bike. MTB and Road biking are not mutually exclusive and I really enjoy both. I'm looking to get a better Road bike soon as I got a second hand one to try it out. So go for it, itll bit you like the MTB'ing did.

I also found that road riding significantly upped my fitness for MTB'ing. It was a real noticable difference.

However, like you I have been struggling for motivation to get out locally and ride because of the cold and drizzle...then I strained my calfs going mental t Hampden on Tuesday and i'm ike a caged animal. At the moment im craving Road cycling...see...it happens.

Hope you get back to it soon. :)
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Maybe there is a local club that do a night ride? I joined a club earlier this year & we do an awesome night ride in wiltshire once a week with about 10 - 20 riders in one or two groups.
    Night riding is a whole different experience and good fun.
    Have a look on the net for a club or try posting on the forum for someone in your area to go night riding with.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I'm a weekend warrior myself and just determined to get out every weekend no matter what the weather. It's the only time I have daylight to ride. I may look into night rides though.

I'd suggest definitely trying to hook up with others to ride to get the motivation. Doing it on your own you just look out of the window and see it's grey and cold so decide to stay in.

Road biking is fine for exercise, though myself I find it tediously boring. Not to mention to do a commute I have to be risking my life on the road and put up with miserable conditions far worse than I'd find off road. I'd rather go to a gym, and I can't stand gyms either. Still if it was the only option for exercise I'd consider it.

The weekend rides can burn off a lot, but you need to do long rides. Go out for most the day, do climbs and a fair distance. If you feel it aches and are tired after the ride then you're doing well. Do both days if you can.

The problem is resisting the temptation to reward yourself with big portions of food. Even if you go for healthier food, it's quantity that's the problem, as I've found. Reduce food intake on non-ride days, and/or go for a walk in the day if possible.

Age old, eat less, exercise more.