Winterising Your Bike

XTC2009
XTC2009 Posts: 115
edited October 2010 in MTB general
"Don't be put off by the weather, turn your bike into the perfect winter bike."

That's what it says in the latest catalogue from Evans Cycles. It then goes on to say that you should ditch the knobblies and fit a set of proper road-going tyres. This has left me confused, because every winter I've ridden through so far - on the road with my MTB - I would never have dared stick slicks on! Possibly down to a bad experience with some old Specialized Nibus-Ex tyres in the rain...

What do you think of this new idea? Or is it not so new after all, and actually everyone who gets stuck to riding their local country lanes when the winter draws in has been switching their tyres like this for years?
Wobbly Cyclist

Comments

• Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Yeah go on, fit some road tyres on your bike and do some 7Stanes, see how you get on, its awesome fun.
  • stephec
    stephec Posts: 795
    It's Evans code for, "let us fool you into buying something that's totaly inappropriate, that way you'll have to come back and buy the right thing again sometime."
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Slicks will be just as good as knobblies, possibly even better if you just ride on the road. But why would you?
    Bit of mud and snow never hurt anyone.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • tiger2
    tiger2 Posts: 4
    I commute all year round on 700x25 Continental ultragators and in my opinion are excellent whatever the weather and they have minimal tread. You learn to trust them even when it's wet.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    edited October 2010
    Knobblies aren't meant for the road, slicks are. They are much better suited to the road.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • Eyon
    Eyon Posts: 623
    tiger2 wrote:
    You learn to trust them even when it's wet.

aquaplane speed of MTB slick will still be at 60mph or so at 40psi, road tyres at 100psi will need to be doing just over 100mph to aquaplane! Tire tread is a sales myth!

That saying, i agree, ride a decent trail on slicks....make sure you have a camera rolling
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,753
    If they want you to turn your MTB into a road commuter, OK. Slicks for the road make sense. Otherwise they need their heads examining.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    Does anybody make a heated saddle? Grips?

Re slicks. One of my favourite moments of last winter was riding past a brand new Jag that was slipping backwards down an icy hill. I was on a '97 Stumpy with medusas wearing a big grin. Wouldn't have worked with slicks.
  • antfly wrote:
    Knobblies aren't meant for the road, slicks are. They are much better suited to the road.

Agreed, but, I think the issue here is - why move to the road on your mtb when its winter? Some of the best riding is to be had in the winter - none of this fair weather only rollocks!
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    wordnumb wrote:

Re slicks. One of my favourite moments of last winter was riding past a brand new Jag that was slipping backwards down an icy hill. I was on a '97 Stumpy with medusas wearing a big grin. Wouldn't have worked with slicks.

Plenty of beans for breakfast and you'll get that saddle nice and toasty.

I noticed the Evans recommendation of roadie tyres for winter use. Maybe they think that cutting through the mud will get you to the firm pack below 8)
    That age old question, fat n float, or skinny n dig in.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    hoochylala wrote:
    antfly wrote:

Agreed, but, I think the issue here is - why move to the road on your mtb when its winter? Some of the best riding is to be had in the winter - none of this fair weather only rollocks!
    I couldn't agree more but it sounds like the advice is for people who use their mountain bikes on the road anyway, although I don't know why anyone would want to do that. :?
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • Least when you fall and its very slippery out you have an excuse!!
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    antfly wrote:
    hoochylala wrote:
    antfly wrote:

I couldn't agree more but it sounds like the advice is for people who use their mountain bikes on the road anyway, although I don't know why anyone would want to do that. :?

Can't afford or don't have space for more than one? I ride my MTB everywhere, but the last thing I'd do would be to put slicks on it.
  • Hoochylala has it right, Evans quite clearly sat down and discussed possible ways to make more money out of gullible people now that 'fair weather riders' season has officially closed.
    I've only been into this hobby for just over 18 months but I instinctively knew last winter that it is important to not only keep the fitness going, so to the enthusiasm and to learn new skills ie: how to handle Autumn/Winter riding conditions.

Apart from dealing with the temperature change, the average winter ride in the woods gave me wet n' slippy trails instead of dry n' dusty, lots of sloppy winter mud and roots like bars of soap, frozen rock hard ground which makes you adjust your fork and shock pressure, the challenge of riding through sections with deep frozen puddles, breaking the ice as you go as well as icy ground, and last but not least, the challenge of riding in snow covered areas and trying to actually pick out where the trail is underneath, plus getting a few surprises when your wheel suddenly disappears into a hole or deep rut you couldn't see due to the snow covering.

Like night riding, it's a whole new world and challenge, it's a must and anyone who stays in this winter with choccy hob nobs and a mug of cocoa is a big girls blouse.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Meh, good. Get the fair weather bunch out of the woods and onto the tarmac with the rest of the lycra loving bunch and leave the muddy hills to the rest of us with our knobbly tyres :D
  • T1berious
    T1berious Posts: 438
    Winter tyres to most is either a set of Trailrakers or Medusa's surely?
  • T1berious wrote:
    Winter tyres to most is either a set of Trailrakers or Medusa's surely?

My winter tyres are exactly the same as my wet tyres, my dry tryes, my muddy tyres etc...

Im poor, whats on my bike now is what i use till they need replacing :lol:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    wordnumb wrote:

You could fit motorbike heated grips. Then all you need to worry about is the 12V battery it'll need :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • gtd.
    gtd. Posts: 626
    Don't need to Winterfy Your Bike... Just MTFU!!!
    Mountain: Orange Patriot FR, SubZero & Evo2LE.
    Road: Tifosi Race Custom.
    Do it all bike: Surly Disc Trucker 700c/29er