can you use bar ends on carbon bars?

jonnyc2420
jonnyc2420 Posts: 557
edited October 2010 in MTB general
- as the title says really - carbon bars on thier way and would not want to loose the bar ends unless it places too much stress on the carbon.....

Thanks in advance.

JC
Falcon Sierra - 80's
Muddy Fox Courier - 80's
GT Palomar 90's
GT Zaskar LE - 90's
Cannondale k v 900 90's
Santa Cruz Bullit - now
Orange Evo 8 STOLEN 26/09/10
Orange P7 Pro
Lots of kites.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    some yes. some no.

check the makers specs.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Depends on the bar and the bar ends. Ritchey and Race Face are properly reinforced so you can, Bontrager are ok. EC70s claim to be ok with certain clamp types, but IME tend to crack eventually, EC90s crack instantly.

That's all I've tried I think!
  • Pete-C
    Pete-C Posts: 353
    Easton say you can use bar ends that comply with this image bar_ends_1_3.jpg Sold a few EC70s and EC90 SLs through the shop i work at and never encountered cracking if the customer uses the right bar end.
    "Its all fun and games till someone gets hurt, then its hilarious"
    Pitch Comp
  • I've used bar ends on easton carbon bars and found that they're alright if you tighten them just enough to stop them moving around on the bars during general riding but have them loose enough to enable them to move if you stack it. Just as all your controls should be on carbon bars.
    Society is like a stew. You have to stir things up now and again otherwise the scum will rise to the top.
  • Cheers guys - the bars are Easton MonkeyLite XC Low CNT's so may mail the company direct for feedback......
    Failing that I could just print Pete's pic off and offer it up to all the ones sold in the LBS :)
    Falcon Sierra - 80's
    Muddy Fox Courier - 80's
    GT Palomar 90's
    GT Zaskar LE - 90's
    Cannondale k v 900 90's
    Santa Cruz Bullit - now
    Orange P7 Pro
    Lots of kites.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    IT does depend on the bar end, Smica ones comply to Easton's criteria, but can still crack the bars before being remotely tight.
  • mea00csf
    mea00csf Posts: 558
    only flat Race face carbon bars are compatible with bar ends. Their riser carbon bars are NOT.
    having said that i have race face carbon riser bars with stubby bar ends, more like thumb hooks really, with the ergo handlebar plug to support the bar and have had no problems. The stubby short "thumb hook" bar ends your weight is still going through the bar and not cantilevered away from the bar adding extra twist so is probably why i get away with that setup.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Easton SLs I think aren't compatible with barends but the XCs are. The DHs may be, I doubt anyone's ever asked them :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Gone for these - no response from Easton at all which is dissapointing. will see how it goes, BTW when i asked at the lbs the assistant glanced up and said 'yeah they will be fine' - when i mentioned the worry that some carbon bars may not tolerate the pressure she said 'oh, if thyere carbon i have no idea'........ best ask Easton.... :shock:
    CC-BR01.gif[/url]
    Falcon Sierra - 80's
    Muddy Fox Courier - 80's
    GT Palomar 90's
    GT Zaskar LE - 90's
    Cannondale k v 900 90's
    Santa Cruz Bullit - now
    Orange P7 Pro
    Lots of kites.
  • ali$tair
    ali$tair Posts: 373
    jonnyc2420 wrote:
    Gone for these - no response from Easton at all which is dissapointing. will see how it goes, BTW when i asked at the lbs the assistant glanced up and said 'yeah they will be fine' - when i mentioned the worry that some carbon bars may not tolerate the pressure she said oh, if thyere carbon i have no idea'........ best ask Easton.... :shock:
    CC-BR01.gif[/url]

There's your problem, should have shown it to a guy!
    Trek Fuel EX 8 (2010)
  • :lol:
    Falcon Sierra - 80's
    Muddy Fox Courier - 80's
    GT Palomar 90's
    GT Zaskar LE - 90's
    Cannondale k v 900 90's
    Santa Cruz Bullit - now
    Orange P7 Pro
    Lots of kites.