Slicks for fitness rides?

Chronicbint
Chronicbint Posts: 172
edited October 2010 in MTB general
Currently have Maxxis Highrollers 2.35 on my Anthem and wondering how much difference changing to some semi slick road style tyres would make to my fitness rides. I currently do a 30 mile(ish) ride at the weekends, would it make it significantly easier?

I guess this would defy the point of the fitness ride making it easier but I could go faster/further I assume. :)

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I guess this would defy the point of the fitness ride making it easier but I could go faster/further I assume.

This is the key point!

It's hard to quantify, but yes, it'll be easier, so you'll need to go further/faster.
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    For pure fitness the extra resistance of nobbly tyres is good. However for tarmac only riding the handling would be much better with a less squirmy tyre on fast conerners, ever tried doing more than 20mph on tarmac with swampthings :D
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    the sound of highrollers on the road . brhhhhhhhhhhhhhhHH!

Depends what your doing i use a wider tyre for everything, but then i don't venture onto roads on my bike unless its to get to a good downhill :s
  • i m running DMR moto tyres seem to be pretty good on road & off road, only a real problem in extremely muddy conditions
    Show me your green bits i might buy them !
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    I'd invest in the road tires - simply because you'll wear out the high roller pretty quickly!
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • Got some conti travel contacts on my 'long distance' bike. They make a huge difference in terms of speed.

You still get tired. They're not miracles waiting to happen, but they can make pedaling in the big gears much less effort. You find yourself powering up hills that would normally see the granny ring.
  • gtd.
    gtd. Posts: 626
    I use Michelin City protech slicks on my Hybrid and Schwalbe Land cruisers on my other bike

The Schwalbe's pumped up are about as good on tarmac as the Michelin's though the Michelin's are useless taking a short cut over the smallest bit of hard packed but wet muddy grass
    Mountain: Orange Patriot FR, SubZero & Evo2LE.
    Road: Tifosi Race Custom.
    Do it all bike: Surly Disc Trucker 700c/29er