Orange patriot?

jskdog
jskdog Posts: 31
edited October 2010 in MTB general
Iv just bought this frame off ebay (£36 bargain!) its advertised as a 1999/2000 patriot frame, has anyone got any information on these?
Im going to strip the paint and give it a respray any tips for how best to strip the paint?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0572763367

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Link broken
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I used to have a 2002 and the travel on them depends on the size a little - mine was a small but was an LT to have 6 inches at the rear.

That one looks....well worn and as it needs a new swingarm which may be tricky to source I think stripping it and repainting is going to be the least of your worries! I would send an email to orange with the frame number once you have it and ask them for details of the shock you need, whether they can supply the swing arm (they may have old stock) and the like. They will also be able to give you BB spec and other stuff.

Good luck building it up!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    its a 36 quid paper weight.

crack in the swingarm (on the chainstay apperently....though as its a one piece swingarm...not sure what they mean by chainstay....)...disc mount missing....

It just needs a new swingarm

terminal im afraid....

from experience...Orange will not be able to supply you with a new swingarm for it.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • paul.skibum
    I just had a quick look on a few sites and that front triangle shock mount thing looks wrong - mine had a little a frame mounted on the downtube and that is what appears on 98 onwards bikes. I have no idea what era that is from but it doesnt match with the pics on the web - it may be a post production repair or something?
  • jskdog
    I remember seeing that shock mounting years ago when I was first into biking but i cant find any info on them anywhere!With regards to the crack, our company uses a local welder and engineer who can also weld up bike frames so hopefully he can work his magic on it. t might be impossible to do anything with but ill give it a go. Ill send Orange an email and see if they can help.
  • jskdog
    I wonder if a newer swing arm would fit?
  • I've got an early noughties patriot frame if its your bag. Its the LT with the longer travel RC shock. New bearings last year. 18" I think. Mail me if you like.

Cheers
  • paul.skibum
    jskdog wrote:
    I wonder if a newer swing arm would fit?

I was wondering that - certainly doesnt look significantly different to a early naughties frame but then its a bad photo!
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    Never ever seen that front shock mounting on a Patriot.....

more modern swing arm may fit, looks the same as mine (04/05) think the pivot bearings etc are a different size on the newer ones so you may have an issue.

Does it have orange stamped on the top tube?.... near the headtube?

£36 is a bargain for a patriot, but not for that one. New rear end, new bearings, paint and stickers..... its gonna be at least a £200 frame by the time your done, and they are readily available for that sort of money, plus that front shock mount is hideous!
  • paul.skibum
    What is the scrap price for aluminium at the moment? :lol:
  • cee

I got a magnificent deal from orange on a new bike when I gave them my old patriot that I cracked.....
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • jskdog
    It shouldnt cost me anything to get the frame repaired, and hopefully the engineer i know can do something with that shock mount as well. I thought it might be worth a punt and it'll give me good experience wth building. Any thoughts for stripping the paint?chemical or abrasive?I can get my hands on gallons of thinners so that could be an option.
  • paul.skibum
    I was always told that repairing aluminium frames was tricky to do as the post production metal has been treated in such a way to limit the amount of welding you can do to it.

You can probably get a bracket made up for a rear disc brake I guess. My mates old Spesh was a 99 era and didnt have rear disc brakes brakes - he had a steel clamp thing fitted to hold his caliper.

If you look at a place like windridge they shot blast and chemical peel frames to prep them for a new powder coat - plenty on here though have suggested stripper and wire wool iirc. If I were you i'd go the cheapest option on that frame.
  • cee
    It looks repainted anyway, so it might come off really easily with thinners if you have it...

i have seen frames sand blasted if you can get access to a cabinet....

Or get some patience...a big strong arm and some sandpaper.

agree with paul though...problem with fixing the crack on ally is that you will probably open up other welds when you do it...

the metal will move a bit, causing stress in places never been stressed like before being heat treated after fabrication the first time round...

Good Luck! Post the results....

H.G. Wells.
  • *AJ*
    cee wrote:

I got a magnificent deal from orange on a new bike when I gave them my old patriot that I cracked.....

Did you have the original reciept though??......
  • cee
    *AJ* wrote:
    cee wrote:

Did you have the original reciept though??......

No. I bought it from a chap on the classified on here.

H.G. Wells.
  • *AJ*
    Thats good to know! Thanks!