Winter shorts?

phildavis
phildavis Posts: 164
edited October 2010 in MTB general
Can anyone tell me of a good waterproff pair of baggies for the winter other than Altura Attack !

Comments

• I've just bough the new Endura shorts (H500 I think. Too lazy to go to the car and look!!!)
    Cost about £60 and advertised in most mags. Waterproof arse and showerproof fronts. Only in Black but they are just so so comfortable and dry!
    TT
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    MTFU. Should be able to wear the same gear all year round whatever the weather :P

Off topic, @Titanium Tom - I went to school in Teignmouth, used to live in Dawlish :).
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Got some Dakine 8 Tracks and some Animal Drop baggies, both very tough with a DWR coating. The Drops are thick - almost rubbery - and very water resistant. The 8 Tracks will shrug off an hour or so of moderate rain.

Both roomy enough to wear over knee pads, toasty during Winter but a bit too hot for the Summer.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,753
    edited October 2010
    Just got some Endura Superlight Shell Shorts but not tried them yet: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=19369
    Will probably need to weat some lycra things underneath to keep warm though as they are a bit thin and light even if waterproof.

Edited to say: otherwise 3/4 Hummvees are warm but not waterproof....
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • phildavis
    deadkenny wrote:
    MTFU. Should be able to wear the same gear all year round whatever the weather :P

Cheers guys will check out some of your suggestion.

deadkenny - MTFU ! Im after waterproof shorts as you obviously didn't read my first post properly. If you want to ride in wet shorts you carry on son....
  • Anonymous
    :D

Though to be honest in the pouring rain I don't usually get a wet arse unless I was riding through a river. I find a waterproof top is generally sufficient given the riding position. But once I'm soaked I don't care anyway :D.

Though if I was northern I'd be riding with no top on in the wet and freezing cold. I wouldn't go that far.
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    I currently like RaceFace 3/4 DH shorts, keep me dry enough but I tend not to ride more than an hour.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Altura's Attack shorts are brilliant. Machine washable too which not all waterproofs are, though be careful with your washing powder and fabric softener. Totally waterproof, no sweatier than any hardwearing shorts, durable, and work just like a pair of shorts should. Slightly noisy though and they're quite open at the bottom so you can still get splash up them. But still brilliant. The 3/4s are more of the same but I don't like 3/4s much.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • phildavis
    Thing is they are for my missus and a mens small is too big for her..
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    phildavis wrote:
    Thing is they are for my missus and a mens small is too big for her..

Why didnt you mention that in the first instance, if the small shorts of those are too big for her, most of the other suggestions will be...
  • Anonymous
    I'd still tell her to MTFU :lol: (and then duck!)
  • +1 for the Endura Superlights - cracking shorts!
    Old hockey players never die - they just smell that way...