First Time At Trail Centre....

WisePranker
WisePranker Posts: 823
edited October 2010 in MTB beginners
I'm going to head to Aston Hill next week to try the trails there and was wondering what advice anyone can give to a newbie?

I've never been to a trail centre and haven't rode offroad in about 10+ years :shock:

After looking at their website, I think I'll try out the XC trail and go from there.....

Any suggestions for me?

Comments

• stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Enjoy yourself

Thats all you need to do everything else is optional
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Excellent...sounds good to me :D
  • mobilekat
    mobilekat Posts: 245
    And if you hear the sound of someone approaching you form behind at high speed try to get out of their way!!

Also 99% of trails at trail centres are one -way...... (hates to state the obvious but......)

But mostly have fun, and keep smiling!
    Wheeze..... Gasp..... Ruddy hills.......
  • Take a puncture repair kit and a multi tool.
  • hammy7272
    hammy7272 Posts: 236
    prepare for the forthcoming addiction....................... :D
  • neddie
    neddie Posts: 101
    take a £1 coin for the bike wash !

clean pants etc
    Boardman Comp.

Norco Fluid
  • trebor127
    trebor127 Posts: 246
    neddie wrote:
    take a £1 coin for the bike wash !

clean pants etc

I agree...take a pair of clean pants as I had to drive home in my boxers!! :oops: :oops:
  • Thanks for the advice guys, I ended up heading to Swinley Forest today for a ride with the OH and the dog!
    I got a bit bored halfway round waiting for the OH and the dog so I went off for a blast on my own and absolutely loved it :D

I'm not sure what Swinley is like compared to other centres like Aston Hill but I can't remember the last time I had so much fun. I can't wait to get back out again now :lol:
  • LjStronge
    LjStronge Posts: 287
    I ride Swinley every week and once you know the trails its awesome.

As for Aston Hill, I am the only person who didn't have a great time when I went. Mainly because it was very early on in my MTBing life and the down hill on the XC course scared the crap out of me.

It didn't help that my bike was pants and I was going at it with V Brakes etc. It was pi**ing with rain and the roots/slatey type of surface was killing me.

That was a year ago and since then I have a half decent bike and done Skyline & Y Wall so maybe now I'll be alright!

lol, if you want to come along to Swinley and learn the trails just give us a shout!
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp 2009.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    mobilekat wrote:
    And if you hear the sound of someone approaching you form behind at high speed try to get out of their way!!

Also 99% of trails at trail centres are one -way...... (hates to state the obvious but......)

But mostly have fun, and keep smiling!

Mostly this, But also don't feel pressured to dive out the way, just look for a covenient spot to move over, and grin as the person passes.
  • mea00csf
    mea00csf Posts: 558
    Aston Hill isn't a really a trail centre like Cannock, Swinley, Afan etc. The XC is very short and actually finishes with the red graded downhill run. Also, it doesn't have any facilities there, just a carpark. It's a lot of fun, but could see the "XC" route putting off a lot of beginners :shock:
  • I think I might give Aston Hill a miss for now.
    I was back at Swinley this morning for a play and had a great time again and realised just how unfit I am! I can happily do an hour plus on the bike in the gym at a decent pace but I though I was dying today :shock:

By the sound of it I need to be getting some practice in and improving my fitness before I start looking at the bigger and better trails.
    lol, if you want to come along to Swinley and learn the trails just give us a shout!

Thanks for the offer. Once I've improved a bit I'll give you a shout and see if we can't meet up down there or something :D
  • LjStronge
    LjStronge Posts: 287
    Don't worry about your fitness - your get there, we all start somewhere.

Don't go out and destroy yourself too much, make sure you always have fun, thats the most important thing
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp 2009.
  • Slamdunkin wrote:
    Take a puncture repair kit and a multi tool.
    +1. And a pump.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Enjoy yourself & ride at your own pace. Wear some knee pads and carry spare tubes
    I had my first trail centre ride this sunday & it was great fun. I found that it was easy to build up too much speed without noticing and get myself in trouble.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    I think I might give Aston Hill a miss for now.
    I was back at Swinley this morning for a play and had a great time again and realised just how unfit I am! I can happily do an hour plus on the bike in the gym at a decent pace but I though I was dying today :shock:

By the sound of it I need to be getting some practice in and improving my fitness before I start looking at the bigger and better trails.

Thanks for the offer. Once I've improved a bit I'll give you a shout and see if we can't meet up down there or something :D

The gym never seems to get people real world fit to be fair.

Just get your bum out there pedaling and things will look up real fast :p