Wingnut Hyper 3

scale20
scale20 Posts: 1,300
edited November 2010 in MTB general
Finally managed to track down the Wingnut Hyper 3 pack

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/categ ... 3-10-39743

I hate riding with hydration packs sat high on my back and resorted to riding with waist packs but they only hold so much kit and water. I had read reviews on the wingnuts a while back but to be honest didnt really want to fork out that much money on something you don't get a bladder with.

I finally bit the bullet and got one for £75 and I already have a couple of 3L camelbak bladders that will fit a treat. I ordered it yesterday and it arrived today, first impressions are brilliant, lovely and light and stuffed with some kit it sits really well on your hips.

Big test will be Glentress and inners this coming weekend.

Anyone else own one? Your thoughts?
Niner Air 9 Rigid
Whyte 129S 29er.

Comments

• Where did you get it from???
  • Very, very interested in this! Im hoping this pack may assist/be a magical cure for my aching back issues :(

if you could do a little update review following your Glentress ride that would be fantastic :) where did you buy it from btw?
  • scale20
    After a lot of digging I came accross this website.

www.spokeshirts.co.uk they have a good stock of the wingnut range and so far the cheapest I have seen them, free postage too.

While you are looking check out the Hoody's and T shirts, brilliant. BTW I dont work there :lol:

The wingnut hyper doesnt have all the gucci inner pockets and sleeves for your bits and bobs and it doesnt have a. MP3/Ipod pocket like most hydration packs but I'm not after that, its just simple, light and if its as good as the reviews should be pretty comfy to wear. It does have a couple of pockets on the side waist belt flaps whick will hold quite a bit.

I will do some sort of review with some more pics after the weekends antics in GT
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • Excellent! Thanks for the heads up, been looking for an uk based stockist for a while - good price too - I look forward to the mini review :)
  • How big is it? I've been looking for a bag I can fit a 2-3l bladder, jacket, first aid kit, emergency tools and some snacks in and I'm not sure whether the 2.5 would be a more reasonable size?
  • Mark909
    Mark909 Posts: 456
    I've had one since christmas and it is an awesome little bag.

Although the main compartment isnt huge the side pockets are a fair side and you can put innertubes in the outside netting pockets.

I fit into mine 2l bladder, waterproof jacket, tools, spare innertube, handpump, a few snack bars, car keys, phone, etc

When strapped in it doesnt move around on your back like my old backpack used to.
  • scale20
    I've not used it yet but i will be putting in a 3L blader. As said above the side pockets or wings look like they will hold all your tools, tubes and a mini pump leaving the main compartment for a light weight waterproof, some sarnies and even a fair sized SLR type camera if you wanted to. More than enough room for all you will need on an all day ride.

If you dont fill it the drawstrings on the back will condense the pack down nice and flat so all you have is effectivly a waistpack.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • Any update on this, scale?
  • scale20
    My appologies, I totaly forgot about this thread.

I have been using the wingnut for just over a month and I love it. It's light as a feather and when it's on you dont even know your wearing it. You can fill it up with all day kit or just use it for a quick trail ride. when you are not using the main compartment to its fullest the elastic cord on the back condenses the pack down nicely.

When I get home at the weekend I will get some pics taken of it fully loaded and compressed down so you get an idea of size. If i was to advise anyone on which to buy I would say the hyper 3, although its the bigger of the packs, its so light and compactable you can stick a tube, pump and waterproof in it and not know you have it on.

The shoulder straps can be a little twisty when putting it on but you soon get the hang of it.

If you have any perticular questions just fire away. I will get some phots up at the weekend when I'm home.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.