Hmm crown race fits OK, but the fork has an awkward taper!

Twilheimer
Twilheimer Posts: 189
edited September 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys! Been stuck on this today! Basically on installing a new headset, I put the crown race on, its cut so it fits easily, I then went to put the fork into the headtube and the little plate that mates with the crown race wont squeeze over the now expanded crown race at all! The fork has an awkward taper at the bottom. I've tried loads of tricks on it, and it really won't go on :(

Any ideas guys?! Maybe I need a different set of forks..hmm!

Any helps appreciated , I am stuck lol

Diagram removed, to prevent insluting your intelligence.

The headsets a Cane Creek S-3 and the forks are Suntour XCR's, I am clueless! I am now left with a 3mm gap between the exposed crown race and the headset, it works, but I dont trust it.

Thanks, Tom

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes they do that.

many cartridge bearing headsets use split races.

and yes forks do get wider at the bottom.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • But what is the sollution?
  • nicklouse
    for what?

if you have the correct race for the headset and it and the fork are 1 1/8th there is no problem.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • So the gap between the race and the headset is fine? Sorry for my ignorance, it's just i've never seen such a gap before.
  • nicklouse
    edited September 2010
    is the bearing the right way up?

tapered inner face to the crown race.
  • Andy!
    Andy! Posts: 433
    plate that goes onto the crown race?

The crown race goes directly into the bearing:

http://www.canecreek.com/manuals/Headse ... ctions.pdf

Also it looks like on this headset the lower crown race is not split. The split one is for the top bearing. You need to use a suitable tube to really force the crown race onto the steerer.

there is probably a video on youtube for the S3 or similar cane creek ones.

edit: disclaimer: I could be wrong but that is what the pics are telling me in the manual.
  • Hi,

I think I've been a bell and installed something the wrong way, I shall revise the instructions, ta guys! After reading the manual, it seems the crown race may not be what I suspected it was...I put 7 in the wrong spot, well now I know and won't do that again!

Thanks!
  • Crown race is normaly a one piece item. The split race goes in the top of the headset iirc.

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=65

Take a look at some of the park guides

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • Andy!
    :lol: let us know when you have sorted it!
  • Neily03
    Neily03 Posts: 295
    You've put the collet in place of the crown race haven't you? :lol::lol:
  • nicklouse
    Twilheimer wrote:
    Hi,

I think I've been a bell and installed something the wrong way, I shall revise the instructions, ta guys! After reading the manual, it seems the crown race may not be what I suspected it was...I put 7 in the wrong spot, well now I know and won't do that again!

Thanks!

i hope you mean 5 :wink:

also why photos are better than drawings.
  • Neily03 wrote:
    You've put the collet in place of the crown race haven't you? :lol::lol:

LOL YES! haha thanks chaps, everyone laugh at the bloke who doesn't like instructions, because he's too blokey to read them thoroughly. Haha sorted now fellas. Nice one!

p.s. I did mean 5 not 7, I was refering to a slightly different instruction manual. :) Now I'm feckless, but not THAT feckless.
  • Andy!
    I was going to correct your number 7 gaff but I thought I would leave you to it as there is no way you could get the cup in the wrong place....I hope!

:lol:

did you put the split ring on, then the crown race and then the bearing?
  • I did indeed, you see It's been a while since I installed forks, and have never done so on a MTB, and for some reason the shiny anodised blue thing cried out 'put me first' god knows why I thought that must go before the race!
  • nicklouse
    Twilheimer wrote:
    I did indeed, you see It's been a while since I installed forks, and have never done so on a MTB,

there is no difference between road and MTB headset fitting.

PS if in doubt check parktools :wink:
  • There is, when I've only used intergrated! Parktools has been helpful aye!
  • nicklouse
    still no difference the concept is still the same. and the forks still flare out and they can have split or solid crown races etc...

and MTB can have integrated as well.

where things get fun is the odd "special" that is neither one or the other and they can be found on both Road and MTB setups.