Campaign for Rear Mudguards

Comments

• jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    unixnerd wrote:
    I
    I can't understand folk who ride in the wet without them, they must get soaked.

When raining, if I wear something waterproof I get soaking wet from sweat (and almost always too hot.)
    If I don't wear something waterproof I get soaking wet, but at least stay at a reasonable temperature. In the scheme of things lack of mudguards doesn't actually affect me that much.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • Greg66 wrote:
    unixnerd wrote:

Pssstt - mudguards don't keep you dry in the rain...

They don't stop the stuff that falls from the sky, that much is true, but they do help with the stuff that comes up off the road and directly into your shoes/shorts.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Greg66 wrote:
    unixnerd wrote:

The roads are wet for a lot longer than the rain is actually falling - I often find myself riding on innundated roads despite not having actually been rained on. I put guards back on the tourer a couple of weeks ago. Since then I have noticed that the grease wasn't washed out of the rear hub after every wet trip and that my feet stayed much drier. The occasional summer shower on a warm day is one thing - cold wet winter rainwater is somewhat different. The benefits are substantial! (far more than I expected them to be)
    Faster than a tent.......
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Rolf F wrote:
    The roads are wet for a lot longer than the rain is actually falling - I often find myself riding on innundated roads despite not having actually been rained on. I put guards back on the tourer a couple of weeks ago. Since then I have noticed that the grease wasn't washed out of the rear hub after every wet trip and that my feet stayed much drier. The occasional summer shower on a warm day is one thing - cold wet winter rainwater is somewhat different. The benefits are substantial! (far more than I expected them to be)

How do mudguards stop water from washing your bearings out? I have full SKS chromoplastics on my Ti bike and if anything, I get more crap dropping onto the chainstay area in particular. Any water bouncing into the guard from the tyre is going to fall back down again, perhaps onto the hub.

Sorry if I misunderstood.
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    Greg66 wrote:
    unixnerd wrote:

They don't stop the stuff that falls from the sky, that much is true, but they do help with the stuff that comes up off the road and directly into your shoes/shorts.

But then you get overtaken by a car/bus and soaked from a direction the mudguards don't cover anyway...

Anyway, I smell a troll :roll:
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    My saddle bad and waterproof rucksack catch 95% of the spray thown up on my back my rearwheel.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Greg66 wrote:
    unixnerd wrote:

+1 - they just don't!
  • Pufftmw wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    unixnerd wrote:

But then you get overtaken by a car/bus and soaked from a direction the mudguards don't cover anyway...

Hang on, what? I'm a mudguard troll? I thought Trolls lived under mudguards.
  • Asprilla wrote:
    My saddle bad and waterproof rucksack catch 95% of the spray thown up on my back my rearwheel.

Mine too on the BeOne, I don't have guards on that one any more. The wet bum thing never bothered me too much. The wet shoes do when the front wheel diverts all the surface water into them. That said, you go fast through a deep enough puddle and you still get a shoe-full, but I do generally get to work with drier shoes when on the Orbea.
  • shm_uk
    shm_uk Posts: 683
    Hmmmm.

Just to annoy the OP, I'm deliberately not going to even think about fitting my mudguards.

How childish is that :)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    dodgy wrote:
    How do mudguards stop water from washing your bearings out? I have full SKS chromoplastics on my Ti bike and if anything, I get more crap dropping onto the chainstay area in particular. Any water bouncing into the guard from the tyre is going to fall back down again, perhaps onto the hub.

Sorry if I misunderstood.

I suspect it is the water from the front wheel that is doing the damage! No scientific proof here - just apparent cause and effect! Every time I rode the bike in the wet in the summer, the bearings started making horrible graunchy noises until I serviced them. Since the mudguards went back on, no problems.

Also noticed (as per other comments) my saddlebag and its contents now stay dry!

Agree with others re the wet arse thing - that has never bothered me much; it is mainly the warmer feet (which matters a lot) and the apparent benefits in saving a hub strip and regrease after every wet ride that makes the mudguards a no brainer for me.
    shm_uk wrote:
    Hmmmm.

Just to annoy the OP, I'm deliberately not going to even think about fitting my mudguards.

How childish is that :)

Cruds come in sections - you could leave the back section off so keeping yourself dry but still spraying the rider behind!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Pufftmw
    Pufftmw Posts: 1,941
    Pufftmw wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    unixnerd wrote:

Hang on, what? I'm a mudguard troll? I thought Trolls lived under mudguards.

LOL - no, the OP...
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    notsoblue wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    I suppose people who gob on other cyclists also justify that by keeping the drafting fairies at bay....

Lol, what?

You know, the snot rocket brigade which - disgusting as it is on it's own - is that much worse when they fail to even glance behind them first. Still, keeps the drafting fairies at bay.... :roll:

I'm not so worried about the rain and getting wet - but all the crap/grit on the road is better kept within the mudguards. Better for the bike, better for your clothes etc.

And getting wet from the top down is one thing - also getting wet "bottom up" at the same time is another!
  • Asprilla: Ride a little further away
    roger merriman: if the spray keeps some drafters away, well good!
    the_prophet: if your that close, then you probably deserve getting sprayed
    gtvlusso: Perhaps you should be SCR'ing and overtaking said fiend's
    nich: if you're getting sprayed in the face then you're too close.
    notsoblue: stop drafting in the rain

Are you guys serious? The spray from your bike kicks up as soon as you’re rolling, this isn’t a 20+mph phenomenon. I’m not talking about drafting here, I’m talking about having to follow people along the side of traffic jams and slow-moving traffic where there’s not much option of pulling out unless you want an L-plate scooter up your backside. Or setting off from traffic lights behind the same bunch of over-taken slowpokes who’ve pushed to the front at the last four junctions. If everyone had to back right off all the time then we’d never get anywhere.

Please also note that I’m not complaining about rain, the weather or being wet. This is about spray from back wheels.

Greg66: STFU
    notsoblue: MTFU

I hope you two hard men speak to strangers in pubs like that.

Down the Road: IT'S COMMUTING!!!!!!!!!

Exactly, it’s something we have to do twice a day throughout an already miserable winter. Why not make things that little bit less grimy for each other?

Asprilla: What about TT bikes

Who commutes on a TT bike?

Pufftmw: I smell a troll

No you don’t, love.

Mudguard Nazi, FCN 10
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    mudguard nazi
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    mudguard nazi

I bet he's best friends with the pope...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    I actually agree with the OP, but particularly when we're talking about the knobblies among you - it's like being behind a garden spraying thingy

As for drafting, I don't and I've never found any benefit to it anyway - I tend to hang at least 3-4 metres back, as I've learnt my lesson on being too close in town (from someone piling into the back of me)

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Note to OP,

Wouldn't all your problems be sorted if you just chose to get a life?
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112

Errr - me!

How about; kill everyone who does not have mudguards or produces any spray (lorries being the worst) and then you will have a clear ride to work.....Or make everyone ride a dutch sit up bike with a chainguard too......

MTFU and stop complaining! Making people fit mudguards (where possible, as they won't fit on all frames) ain't gonna happen!
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    feltkuota wrote:
    Note to OP,

Wouldn't all your problems be sorted if you just chose to get a life?

Pot, kettle... :lol:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Secret Sam, you're so right... :lol:
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    gtvlusso wrote:

Errr - me!

How about; kill everyone who does not have mudguards or produces any spray (lorries being the worst) and then you will have a clear ride to work.....Or make everyone ride a dutch sit up bike with a chainguard too......

MTFU and stop complaining! Making people fit mudguards (where possible, as they won't fit on all frames) ain't gonna happen!

And a mate from a different forum who tired fitting them to his the other day. I was making a general point about geometry; as I stated I haven't yet been able to get them to properly fit to my Cervelo and they cause considerable problems on my fixed when it comes to removing the rear wheel. Does that mean that I should take public transport when the roads are damp?

Your assertion that guards should fit all bikes and there is no excuse not to have them is simply incorrect.

As for riding further away, it appears to work for me. I don't generally have problems with spray from others, certainly on bikes, and I do an awful lot of commuting miles in London in all weathers.

I really, genuinely don't see what the issue is.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • CXXC
    CXXC Posts: 237
    can't, i don't own any, and can't afford any until the govt introduce a mudguard tax credit

www.redlightjump.co.uk

FCN 3 (FCN 4 if I'm carrying clean pants)
  • Asprilla wrote:
    I used to have one on the fixed, but since it's got horizontal track ends removing the rear tyre to repair a puncture necessitated removed the mudguard as well which was a right pain in the bum.

+1
    since thinking distance at 20mph is some 20ft if your close enough to be sprayed you too close.

my normal town bike has guards which makes the commute dryer, my roadie doesn't have the clearances, quite frankly if the spray keeps some drafters away, well good! as its very dumb practice on the commute.

+1

I'm not gonna use 'guards, and I don't really find other people's lack of guards to be an issue. I echo the MTFU sentiments already expressed. I've given up trying to keep dry in the wet. Staying warm on the other hand...
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,671
    I do use 'guards, but more to keep (some of) the bike (a bit more) free of gritty/salty spray than me. I do much prefer riding without them though - I just don't have the time to strip and regrease wheel hubs on a frequent basis.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • ...some stuff.

Listen, Queenie, you expressed an opinion, and found out that lots of people disagreed.

Welcome to the internet.

There's no mileage in getting worked up about being wrong.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Greg66 wrote:

Ah the wisdom of experience.
  • Can't fit a rear carrier and mudguards - mudguards don't help me ferry a laptop so no mudguards for me.
  • Greg66 wrote:

There's always a smart alec lurking around the corner...
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Greg66 wrote:

After driving his wife's car most days, it makes it pretty easy
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14