Good morning from not the Hospital

joshtp
joshtp Posts: 3,966
edited September 2010 in The Crudcatcher
Hello, good morning and welcome to the Josh show. This is show is going out to all those that dont wear helmets, especially for Trials, telling them to stop being ideots.

Iv had my trials bike for almost 2 months now, and im getting better day by day. Yesterday was the turn of the side drop. I was getting pretty confident... 3ft drops... fine, 4ft drops... fine (remember this is while balancing still on a tiny bike with no suspention) next came a healthy 5ft drop to flat concrete. fist time i hopped of beautifly, placed my back wheel down and landed like a cat, or danny mac. Second time was a little shaky, and i had to dab. I couldnt leave it on that so went back up to "nail it" before moving on.
My back wheel didnt leave the wall cleanly, and the front of the bike plumeted down, the wall being so high this flipped me right onto the bars just as the back wheel finaly disengaged, i dont really know what happened from there, but i ended up falling directly onto my head (with the height of standing on the bike included, thats about 8-9 ft freefall directly onto my bonce)

Thanks to my trusty Giro Xen im still here, with a bruised and bleeding shoulder, a stonking headache, slight dizzy-ness, a swolen wrist, a dodjy ancle and a cut finger.

Without my helmet though, im not sure id be here at all.

so to those who dont wear helmets, even for trials (harmless may it seem) please, please do.

im going back out to nail that wall now. And im still here, alive to do so.
I like bikes and stuff

Comments

• VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    lucky, could of been a lot worse!
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • joshtp
    dead (get it! ;)) right.... i still feel a bit funny, and it was like 6 o'clock last night.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 2,086
    Best get sending your lid off to Madison.
  • delta5
    delta5 Posts: 265
    edited September 2010
    Sounds like a hell of a knock :shock: - glad you're ok!
    How did the Xen cope - is it bust? POIDH!

Also, seriously, if you haven't been to a Dr yet def go and get your head (and neck) checked out. Injuries there can lurk . . .
    My abundant supply of MTFU is reserved for use in dry, sunny conditions.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    GWS Josh.

'Just one more time' eh :wink:
  • joshtp
    Amazingly the Xen seems absolutely fine.... its a bit scratched, but it took most of the impact on the visor, and it was a sort of glancing blow, the helmet impacted the ground and then slid along before my shoulder took the rest of the impact....

i know your suposed to replace it... and i may well do when i have some more moneys, but for now, it apears, and sounds absolutely fine, with just a little scratching... i think the polycarbonate hardshell coating helped in this respect...

as for the "one more run" thing... its so, so true... i find it when biking, surfing, climbing.... its always that one last run/wave/section that ends in masive pain.

:lol:

im going out to hit that drop again in a bit.... :? i must be mad. :lol:
    I like bikes and stuff
  • joshtp
    .blitz wrote:
    GWS Josh.

'Just one more time' eh :wink:
    cheers mate
    I like bikes and stuff
  • I think the general advice is once you've had a big bang on a helmet, don't use it again. Even although it looks ok superficially it could be comprimised in a way that isn't obvious.

£60 for Giro to replace a Xen

http://www.madison.co.uk/giro/
    Giant Trance X 2010
    Specialized Tricross Sport
    My Dad's old racer
    Trek Marlin 29er 2012
  • Neily03
    Neily03 Posts: 295
    Think you should go the hospital, you seem to have lost all ability to spell.... :o
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    Definitely don't use that helmet again. It's destroyed.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    If you landed as hard as you think, it is foobared.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • joshtp
    oh great.... im srugeling to get £15 a month to pay for my phone atm... never mind £60 for a new lid....

bad as it is.... im gonna have to keep it is for a few weeks at least....

i think TBH though that its prob OK.... it took pretty much the whole impact on the Visor.... so the actually ESP is fine.... and the only damage to the main part of it was more sliding along the ground.... scratches more than impact damage.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    You won't be able to see any damage to it.

Helmets are designed to break on impact. It's how they absorb the impact. Although it might look fine, if you land on it again, it won't be able to do its job. Talk to your parents and try to get them to lend you the money for it, or get a cheaper temporary lid. Just don't wear that one any more.
  • get a Giro Indicator or Skyline, they're around the 20 quid mark and do the job just fine, they don't look too bad either, they're hot but it's coming up to cold weather time so they're actually better suited than the better vented ones in many ways. I know i'll be using my old one shortly.
  • joshtp
    get a Giro Indicator or Skyline, they're around the 20 quid mark and do the job just fine, they don't look too bad either, they're hot but it's coming up to cold weather time so they're actually better suited than the better vented ones in many ways. I know i'll be using my old one shortly.

ye.... but after the luxary of a Xen im not too keen on that plan..... :? :cry:
    I like bikes and stuff
  • the new ones are half decent, overall fit's the same with all of them and that Acu-Loc fit isn't that bad, the venting's another story though and the looks aren't super ace but for 20 quid as a temporary measure it's doable and you've always got a back up lid when you get something better
  • joshtp
    Thinking about it.... i might actually have an old Specialized XC lid in the garage somwhere.... would tide me over.... and i think im gonna get a Peepot for trials... they are cheap, and can take a few knocks before replacement
    I like bikes and stuff