Can't find proper user's guide for my forks

BG2000
BG2000 Posts: 517
edited September 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
My new 2010 RockShox Revelation Team U-Turn forks didn't come with any literature. I was told I could get this from the SRAM website.

All I can find on the website is a 10 page, multi-language manual that explains how to tighten up the maxle and gives some warranty info - fair enough, those are the basics to get you going. I've also found technical guides telling me how to strip down the forks and replace parts. I've saved those for future reading.

But I just want a manual that explains how to optimise the Blackbox damping, what the rebound control does, when to use the external floodgate etc..

Basically, Rockshox list all the amazing things this fork can do but don't explain what they are, how to adjust them, and when to adjust them.

Please can someone point me in the right direction ?

Comments

• search on youtube, all the sram service vids are on there........
  • Suspension servicing, tuning, parts, setup and race support
    Locotuning.co.uk
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    BG2000 wrote:
    My new 2010 RockShox Revelation Team U-Turn forks didn't come with any literature. I was told I could get this from the SRAM website.

All I can find on the website is a 10 page, multi-language manual that explains how to tighten up the maxle and gives some warranty info - fair enough, those are the basics to get you going. I've also found technical guides telling me how to strip down the forks and replace parts. I've saved those for future reading.

But I just want a manual that explains how to optimise the Blackbox damping, what the rebound control does, when to use the external floodgate etc..

Basically, Rockshox list all the amazing things this fork can do but don't explain what they are, how to adjust them, and when to adjust them.

Please can someone point me in the right direction ?

it is all personal. set the sag, air or change spring.

if dual air see the guide in the FAQs.

the rest is upto you.

rebound slow enough not to kick you off and fast enough so as not to pack down on a certain trail ( settings will change depending on the trail).

Sorry there is no guide. what is right for one person will not be right for another.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • BG2000
    Thanks guys, but as stated, I already have the technical/service manuals.

I'm not worried about servicing (yet) and would probably get TF to do it anyway.

The YouTube vids are OK, but they don't cover Blackbox Damping, which doesn't have the same knobs as Mission Control.

I just need to know the basics. For example:

Can I remove the external rebound knob to prevent it getting hit by a rock ?

Is it normal for the floodgate knob to turn when I move the lockout switch ?

I'm not necessarily looking for these answers here, I just would have thought SRAM published something that explained all this.

Of course it's all personal, but how can I set it up for my riding style when I don't even know what the knobs do !!?? - Honestly, I hardly know anything about suspension forks - I guess that makes me a bit of a prat for spending £650 on them, but I'm not daft, and given the right literature, I soon learn everything I need.

Perhaps SRAM only expect tuners or trained mechanics to do the tuning for their customers ?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    rebound at the bottom and comprssion at the top.

floodgate settings are in the user guide.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • BG2000
    nicklouse wrote:
    rebound at the bottom and comprssion at the top.

I know where the controls are (and there's floodgate at the top also), but is there really no Rockshox beginners guide that explains what these do.
    nicklouse wrote:
    floodgate settings are in the user guide.

Really ? Please can you tell me which one :

http://www.sram.com/en/service/

Bearing in mind that my 2010 forks are not the same as 2005 or 2008 models.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    BlackBox Motion Control has all the same adjustments as regular Motion Control, and earlier manuals and guides for Revelations will be fine for all the adjustable features.

The difference lies in that BlackBox has a lighter damper unit with improved factory set damping. Adjustments are the same.