GT Avalanche 3.0 or Cube Ltd Comp or what else up to £700

andythedrummer
andythedrummer Posts: 4
edited September 2010 in MTB buying advice
Getting back to biking after many years away. Budget is £700 for a MTB that I can also commute on (with a change of tyres). I've been to two of my LBS's and been suggested the GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc Hydro for £460.00 (I can get it at £415 online but Id rather support my lbs) or Cube ltd Comp for £690.00 (http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/produc ... ?&id=12808). I've briefly ridden both and either felt fine but would welcome your opinions as to whether it's worth spending the extra £230.00 on the Cube.

And are there any other MTB's for less than £700.00 that you'd suggest.

Comments

• CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    Remember the GT is 8 speed over the Cubes 9 speed. Neither has good forks but the spec of the Cube is better.

Try having a look at a Malt 2 which comes within your budget and with the 10% discount you could reinvest it even better forks or wheeks. Go over your budget by another £60 and you'll have SLX groupset.
  • Carrera Fury if you can still get them, Boardman also.
  • Felt Trail Shot 2010 Mountain Bike £599 (RRP £1,149.99 ) @ Wiggle with FREE Delivery + £12 Quidco

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Felt_ ... kdeals.com

Top Features of the Felt Trail Shot 2010
    WEIGHT: (Small) 27.05lb/12.4kg
    FRAME: Felt Trail Shot Design, 6061 Aluminum, Hydroform Top Tube, MTB Vertical Dropouts, with Euro BB Shell, Disc Brake Only, Replaceable Derailleur Hanger, ISCG Chainguide Mount, Ultra Short Stays
    FORK: RockShox Recon 355 Solo Air 20mm with Turnkey Lockout, 130mm All Travel Adjust, 4.73lbs, Hollow Alloy Crown, Magnesium Lowers with 20mm Dropouts and Maxle QR, 32mm 7000 series Stanchions and steerer, Adjustments: Spring Preload, External Rebound. Disc Specific.
    HEADSET: Semi-Integrated 1-1/8" Aheadset--Steel Cups, Caged Bearing, with Alloy Laser Top Cap, Custom Curved 1 x 15mm + 2 x 5mm Straight Washers
    STEM: FELT All Mountain stem, 3D Forged Alloy, 4-bolt design, 31.8 Bar Bore, 60mm Extension
    HANDLEBAR: FELT All Mountain Handlebar Butted Oversize 6061 Aluminum, 31.8mm clamp diameter, 35mm Rise, 8 degree bend with 4 degree sweep, Width: 680mm
    GRIPS: Felt AM Grip Custom "LOCK-ON" Design with Alloy Ends Single-Density Extra-Soft & Sticky (Recipe #25) Durometer, 130mm Length, 30mm OD
    BAR ENDS/CAPS: Rubber Plugs w/ Felt logo Bubble Decal, Included w/Grip
    SHIFTERS: SRAM X-7 Trigger 27 speed Shifter
    FRONT DERAILLEUR: Sram X-7 Low CLAMP, BLK Ø34.9 TOP PULL
    REAR DERAILLEUR: Sram X-9 Long cage
    CRANKSET: Truvativ STYLO 2.2 AM Dual Ring with Bashguard, 2-Piece Crank Giga-X-Pipe External Bearing Design, 36/24T Cold-Forged AL-66, S=170mm; M-L=175mm
    PEDALS: Felt Backpedal Alloy Platform,
    CHAIN: Sram PC-951 (9-Speed) Silver Outer
    FREEWHEEL/CASSETTE: SRAM PG-950, 9-Speed Cassette, 11-32T
    BRAKE LEVERS: Avid Juicy 3
    BRAKES: Avid Juicy 3 Hydraulic, Rotors: 185mm Front; 160mm Rear
    CABLES: Custom Felt Cable Set, Standard Black Casing, Featuring CP Stamped Logos & FELT Rubber 2-Tone Tube Tops at Head Tube and One Red CNC Alloy ferrule Brake hose supplied with Brakeset
    SADDLE: DEVOX XAM SADDLE Wide Nose, Broad flat rear with soft tissue relief channel. 2mm Gel Endurance layer, Rear "Jewel Safe" crush zone, Kevlar protected edges, Stitch free top, smooth leg chafe protection. 7mm heat treated Hollow Cr-Mo Rails
    SEAT POST: Felt Alloy Micro-Adjust, 100% Black, 6061 Low-Profile Forged Head & Extruded Rall Clamps, 30.9mm x 400mm (CEN)
    SEAT POST CLAMP: Felt Bolt-Type with Logo, Cold Forged + CNC, 6061 Aluminum, with Steel Barrel Nut Design, 31.8mm
    RIMS/WHEELSET: Mavic XC-317 Disc Doublewall, 26 x 1.5 x 32H, 23mm Width, Presta Valve, DISC Brake-Specific, Black Anodized
    FRONT HUB: Formula 20mm Thru Axle Cold-Forged Aluminium Body, 32H Disc Brake
    REAR HUB: Shimano FH-M475, 6-Bolt Type Rotor Mount, 32H, with Quick Release
    SPOKES: Stainless DB 14/15G, Brass Nipples
    TYRES: FELT TAR XC ALL ROUNDER 26 x 2.3 60TPI Folding Bead, with Presta valve Inner Tubes
  • Thanks for the input everyone. Is the Felt a "steal" at 599 or was it just overpriced to start with? And what do you mean that the forks are not great on the cube? Are they better on the Felt?
  • CraigXXL
    Forks on the Cube are Rockshox Dart, bottom of the range. The Recon are a much better fork.

The bikes are different styles with the Cube more cross country and the Felt heavier duty for trail/jump. I'd recommend trying these bikes before buying as they are very different.

What do you want out of the bike?
  • I'll be using to commute 2 to 3 times per week and then light trails with the wife at weekends. I won't be doing any hardcore MTV.
  • CraigXXL
    Then forget the Felt, the GT and Cube are more to your requirements. From what you've stated the GT would meet all your needs and leave some money in your pocket.
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    Well despite the more travel you get from the Felt, and the fact that is more hardcore than the Gt or the Cube, it's actually lighter then both of them.
    The GT weights above 14kg, and the Cube 12.55kg close to the Felt's 12.4kg.

But then again, you might not like the geometry of the Felt.