MTB tyre advice please?

AndyF16
AndyF16 Posts: 506
edited September 2010 in MTB buying advice
Firstly apologies as this has probably been covered before, but even using the search facility there's just sooooo much on here!

I use an Orange G2 for shops/mild trails/backroads type stuff and have had Armadillo Hemisphere 1.95s on since springtime - can someone suggest an all-round knobbly tyre for winter use that is armoured and hard wearing, not particularly fast rolling as I tend to use the roadbike for any distance rides, please?

the conti mountain king 2.1s which she came with were PANTS - in the first 5 days riding around town and over fields and paths I had 3 separate flats so wasn't too impressed with that bit of German engineering!
2011 Bianchi D2 Cavaria in celeste (of course!)
2011 Enigma Echo 57cm in naked Ti
2009 Orange G2 19" in, erm orange

Comments

• for a lightweight cross country tyre, I always loved the Panaracer Fire XC pro. Always found it quick clearing, light and grippy in all situations.
  • rudedog
    rudedog Posts: 523
    Maxxis Ignitors/Highrollers
    Conti Verticals
    Kenda Nevegals.

all good all round tyres that tend to get recommended in these types of threads.
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    for a lightweight cross country tyre, I always loved the Panaracer Fire XC pro. Always found it quick clearing, light and grippy in all situations.

I replaced my old Armadillos with one of these on the front and a Nevegal on the back, and the difference is quite noticeable. But I'm not sure either of them are armoured, and I'm not convinced that either of them would stand up well to (for example) hawthorne hedge clippings. Having said that, I've done well over 300 miles on both with no puncture yet. The Nevegal's starting to look a bit worn, but probably has another 300 or so in it still!
  • also, +1 for the highrollers. they're my all time favourite knobbly but I use them all year.
  • Dont buy Nevegals if your riding rocks fast, they pinch every 5 mins, wire bead verticals are amazing for the ££
  • here we go!

I found FIRE XC Pro to be great all rounders, not super fast, but they make up for that in being durable, reasonably puncture resistant and grippy. Now I am sure someone will soon post a slagging off of XC Pros. But for me they worked. I have just switched to Maxxis crossmark and aspen for a bit more speed, but not convinced they will last as long. Cinder Cone are worth a look for the winter very robust.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    surreyxc wrote:
    ... I have just switched to Maxxis crossmark and aspen for a bit more speed,...

what even with the recent weather and knowing what weather to expect for the foreseeable future? I thought these tyres were predominately dry weather tyres?