MTB Shoes for flat pedals

Chipsticks
Chipsticks Posts: 27
edited October 2010 in MTB buying advice
After several years of loyal service I have a very worn pair of shimano MP56 shoes that now need replacing. Both shoes have split around the meshed bit near the toes.

As these shoes no longer seem to be in stock anywhere what shoes can anyone recommend me a new pair of shoes to use with my DMR V12 Mags, i.e. flat pedals?

Is there any point in buying the Shimano MP66 shoes? these are identical in all respects except for being SPD compatible - using these would, of course, involve not removing the rubber sole section concealing the cleat port.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... hoes-11328

Many thanks in advance for any advice given.

Comments

• neninja
    neninja Posts: 424
    If you like Shimano shoes there's the AM40. I've got a pair and they are comfy and grippy.

Five Ten seem very popular and mega grippy but I don't like the look of them. Alternatively you could try skate shoes.
  • Thanks for your advice. I might consider your recommendation though those shoes might be a little bit flash for my taste. Thanks anyway.
  • I found the Mp66 too stiff for use on flat pedals, didn't inspire confidence in me

Five ten Freerides and the Spitfires look less like moonboots and offer fantastic levels of grip. The AM40 is a very good and grippy shoe too, with Shimano shoes try them on. They can be sized funny.
  • I wear merrell haiking shoes, the DMR pins grip well on the sole and they're quite wide on the sole so find the pedal quite easily.
  • ive got a pair of shimano mountain bike shoes that i got from decathlon, and i run them with DMR V 8's with no problem, so have a look at what they do.
    Am i strange in that i actually ENJOY going up hills? Yes, yes i am.

PS: Full - Sussers are for SOFTIES AND BIG GIRLS
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Chipsticks wrote:
    Thanks for your advice. I might consider your recommendation though those shoes might be a little bit flash for my taste. Thanks anyway.

Flash? There isn't anything flash about them, they're just very grippy trainers and I couldn't recommend them enough.
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Five Tens are really good, but I'm not sure that they are worth £70+ for the Impacts, although I did get mine with Nectar points from Amazon. They also look better than AM40's IMHO.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • I recently switched from Merrell walking shoes to AM40s - they're excellent! Adjustable stiffness, well made, plenty of grip (on DMR V12s)and very confidence inspiring when getting both wheels off the ground.
  • I'm also looking for shoes for flat pedals. Rather than getting cycling specific shoes I've been thinking of getting one pair of trainer style trekking shoes for both walking and cycling, killing two birds with one stone. I've finding that, like cycling shoes, walking shoes can be quite expensive, and I'm a bit of a skinflint! I've looked at Merrell shoes online, as well as Peter Storm and Trespass. It's a bit hard to judge, I just know I'm after something to keep my feet reasonably dry and a 'trainer' style.

I did try Trespass shoes on in TKMaxx and they were quite comfy, but obviously just for summer wear. They also had some Hi-Tech and Karrimor shoes in, but they did look quite 'booty' and clumpy, if you know what I mean.

Jam butties, officially endorsed by the Diddymen Olympic Squad
  • Got the Shimano AM40's recently myself. Really happy with them, was apprehensive about the look of em on the pic online but they look great in person. Lot of folk saying they look a bit mad but I really don't see what the fuss is about. Not too flash either by any means. Adjustable stiffness on the soles and nice velcro cover for the laces too. Also way cheaper than Five tens.
  • evo3ben
    evo3ben Posts: 552
    Five Ten Impacts 100% all the way!! Worth every penny impo. I use these with my V12's and at times it like spd's lol. The rubber is sole is hard wearing but yet soft and grippy. Plus they are very comfortable and protect your feet very well.

Get some, you wont regret it 8)
  • R+P+K
    R+P+K Posts: 49
    I've thought about something like Adidas Kanadia trail running shoes. They'd be light and the tread looks pretty serious. The rubber is quite soft too.

http://www.shopadidas.com/product/index ... Id=3458110
  • _jon_
    _jon_ Posts: 366
    I am very please with these so far (Five Ten Marvel)-

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12721187&start=40#16491786
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    went from 5-10s to am40.
    The shimanos better than the impacts in everyway, impacts are too grippy you cant reposition feet when riding wich is a pain and they are huge and heavy and soak up about a gallon of water in 2 secs and laces keep coming undone.