Chain rattling on rear mech after changing tyre

Mark909
Mark909 Posts: 456
edited September 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Changed the rear tyre on my bike earlier today. Done it loads of times before no problem. However the chains now keeps slipping and it not central on my rear mech anymore, it kind of goes to the side so the cogs don't run through the chain properly. I'm going tom take it apart again after work tomorrow but in the meantime does anyone have any idea what's happened?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I suspect the nut that holds the handlebars is at fault?

I can only assume you've managed to route the chain wrong from the rear derailleur to the cassette, photo's are pretty essential on this if you don't fix it!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    bent mech hanger.

chain not seated on the jockey wheels.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Mark909
    Mark909 Posts: 456
    Yeh it looks like the mech hanger is a little bent. The chains slipping on their when I'm in the lowest gears. Any idea how much for repairs?
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    Mark909 wrote:
    Yeh it looks like the mech hanger is a little bent. The chains slipping on their when I'm in the lowest gears. Any idea how much for repairs?

If your LBS has the tool to straighten it, not very much. New hangers are £10 - £20, depending on the bike.