Rode to work in the dark for the first time

Zombie_donkey
Zombie_donkey Posts: 359
edited September 2010 in Commuting chat
My front light is hopeless so I got a 45 Lumen head torch so I can see the ground in front tomorrow morning. I think it is the best option as whatever I look at will be illuminated.....
and I can blind scumbag chavs with it :lol:
Giant Escape M1....
Penny Farthing
Unicycle
The bike the Goodies rode
Pogo Stick
Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,

Comments

• Lazarus
    Lazarus Posts: 1,426
    Tend to find I'm not to worried about about illuminating the road in front of me, street lights do a fine job of that ( after all this time think i know every bump and hole on the route anyway) but I make sure the light on the bike is very bright and pointing roughly level with the road and hopefully catching the eye of oncoming drivers ! !
    A punctured bicycle
    On a hillside desolate
    Will nature make a man of me yet ?
  • 45 lumens? Go for 1400, my son.
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Just rode 3.5 miles there and back to play tennis this evening (in the dark and the drizzle). First time I've ridden my old rigid MTB at night and I was in a bit of a rush, so I quickly swapped my MTB lights onto it as I had a spare bar mount - and one light is on my lid anyway. Had to set them both to LOW to avoid annoying the cars :D as they work out at about 500 + 180 lumens actual (rated 900 + 240, but that's with unprotected cells full beam).

To be honest my proper commuter light (Cateye EL-130) is probably more suitable than a P7 for well lit roads... but that's fixed to my MTB as a back-up!
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • 45 lumens? Go for 1400, my son.

What as a headlight? My neck would snap under the weight of the battery :lol:

The headlamp did the job and helped me negotiate a safe route past a muddy corner section this morning. I look like a gay coal miner though.
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    Pogo Stick
    Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,
  • Nah, the Magicshine battery packs aren't heavy, and you'd be able to act as a searchlight to identify bombers if the blitz restarted.

Seriously though, I've just ordered a torch to use as a helmet light that claims 200 lumens from a single AA, and I'm not expecting it to be bright enough to see by, but to be more of a "be seen" light.
    MiniLogo-1.jpg
    http://www.velochocolate.co.uk Special Treats for Lifestyle Cyclists

From FCN from 8 (road bike, beard, bag, work clothes) to 15 (on my Brompton)
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    45 lumens? Go for 1400, my son.

I got an email from CRC last week that included a 1400 lumen lamp. A Nite Rider something or other. £580! I can't imagine any sane person spending that much on a bloody bike light.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821

The headlamp did the job and helped me negotiate a safe route past a muddy corner section this morning. I look like a gay coal miner though.

Like this?

Zoolander-Blue-Coal-Miner.jpg
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:

Like this?

Is that a picture from the Chilean mines? Are those guys turning to the "other side"? Guess when cocooned with 33 guys for months, things change.... :shock: :shock:
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Wallace1492 What happens in the mine, stays in the mine!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • bails87 wrote:
    Wallace1492 What happens in the mine, stays in the mine!

As long as they don't look like this when they get them out!:
    5-village_people_cowboy_george_bush.jpg
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Apparently the Chilean miners aren't getting paid while they're down there.......

It's a competition with the Catholic church to see who can screw more miners(minors)

OK I nicked that from Andy Parsons on Mock the Week :lol:
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:

Like this?

Yes but in High vis orange :D
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    Pogo Stick
  • Bartimaeus wrote:

I will get one of them when I have some money.
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    Pogo Stick
  • Sorry, I was assuming everyone knew that Magicshine lights were available for sensible money. I have the 900, have had it for a year, and rate it; it's awesome. If it dies, I'll buy the 1400, or whatever the latest version is. I wouldn't really wear it as a helmet light, but I'd definitely go higher than 45 lumens. This is what I ordered for my helmet.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.36024

sku_36024_1.jpg