Weight weenies.. help me lighten my bike ... Meta 5

weeksy59
weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
edited September 2010 in MTB buying advice
Just had mine on the scales. Using a balance act and then with bike on me and without bike...

33.1lb i get it to be, pretty much the same with either method.

Hmmmm bit heavy that.

Need to work out a plan on that i rekon.

Wonder what the wheels/tyres weigh with Slime Tubes and Specialized Fast track tyres....

I might weigh on Thurs with that setup and see what the difference is with standard tube and a Nobby Nic.

Also wouldn't mind weighing the loose wheel to see how much i could save on that too....

For me to be spending any money though i'd have to be able to drop 1.5Kg from whatever i do, otherwise it's hardly worth the expenditure.

I'm sure though there's some decent lightweight wheels on Ebay ? Problem is, i know sod all about wheels lol.

I guess they're the only real area to make a huge saving.

Comments

• List the current spec of everything.

People have an idea from that where is best.
  • Also, depending on your style somethings may weigh what they do for a reason.
  • weeksy59
    Rear Shock:Fox Float RP2
    Fork:White RockShox Recon 140mm air
    Rear Derailleur:Sram X7
    Shifter:Sram Trigger X7
    Chainset:Truvativ Firex Giga X Pipe
    Chainrings:E-13 STS 34T and Bash Ring
    Front Brake:Avid Juicy 3 160mm
    Rear Brake:Avid Juicy 3 160mm
    Brake Levers:Avid Juicy 3
    Handlebars:Raceface Atlas 735mm
    Stem:Race Face Ride XC oversize
    Grips: Bike Ribbon Leggera
    Rims:Alex Double Wall Disc Specific with white powder coating
    Front Hub:Commencal disc brake
    Rear Hub:Shimano M475
    Front Tyre:Specialized Fast Trak LK 26x2.00 with slime tube
    Rear Tyre:Specialized Fast Trak LK 26x2.00 with slime tube
    Saddle:Charge Knife
    Seatpost:Race Face Ride XC
    2 x standard 9mm QRs

On Thurs i will be re-increasing the weight too i'm afraid due to fitting the front mech/shifter, granny/middle.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    That sounds heavy for a Meta, my 2008 weighs 30.5lbs shod with 2.25 Nobby Nics.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • weeksy59
    robertpb wrote:
    That sounds heavy for a Meta, my 2008 weighs 30.5lbs shod with 2.25 Nobby Nics.

Some of my componentry is Super4 which may be slightly more 'budget' and higher weight ?
  • My meta was a bit chunky but hope 2 and DT swiss rims have changed it completely

1kg off the wheels =3kg of the rest. Thats what my physics degree mate reckons.......
  • wheels, rotational weight is the highest contributor i.e. double wall rims weigh a bit and tyres.
  • Hope pro 2 or 3 whichever you prefer with stans crest rims .

best/lightest wheels you can get for the money imo and tubeless(ne weight benefit rly but say bye bye to snake bites)

Strong,reliable,easy to maintain,light.

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    Slime tubes :o ..they weigh about 1.5lb pair (approx 300g-320g) each, you can drop 1lb by using normal tubes (approx 150g each).
  • Wheels will have the biggest savings. Depending on where you ride you could get some Stans ZTR Flow/Arch built on DT Swiss 240 hubs.

Other upgrades where weight savings would be significant would be:
    XT cassette.
    Grips: Titec Pork rinds.
    Chainset: SLX. The arms are lighter than XTs
    Tyres: Continental Race King 2.2 Supersonic (again depends where you ride)
    Brakes: Formula R1's
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Better scales might help, it's easy to get duff results with bathroom scales. My cheapo hong kong fishing scale is decently accurate and cost me buttons.

Failing that... Well, nothing in there looks stupidly heavy, considering what the bike's for. Take it completely to bits and weigh absolutely everything, it's the only way to really know. Some OEM parts can be randomly heavy (I have an oem-spec bonty seatpost somewhere which manages to weigh as much as my gravity dropper frinstance). But don't sacrifice strength for weight.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • weeksy59
    stu8975 wrote:
    Slime tubes :o ..they weigh about 1.5lb pair (approx 300g-320g) each, you can drop 1lb by using normal tubes (approx 150g each).

The slimes were fitted for the Afan monster event as i didn't want to puntcture. I usually run standard tubes.
  • weeksy59
    Any links to the wheels being recommended please gents ?

Most of my riding is ridgeway/local trails.

But also a bit of XC racing at Swinleyforest and hopefully 1-2 more large scale enduros etc.
  • hope 2 can be got at Wiggle or Evans where I got mine. sure you can get them all over though.