How do I fit Conti folding Gator Skins onto Campag Neutrons?

on-yer-bike
on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
edited September 2010 in Workshop
Broke 2 tyre levers and punctured the inner tube and I'm not the only one. Got them on a year ago with difficulty but its even worse this year with the same tyres. Any suggestions?
Pegoretti
Colnago
Cervelo
Campagnolo

Comments

• Campagnolo wheels are a pain to fit tyres on...

Last succesful attempt on a pair of Scirocco was by using a drop of washing up liquid on the rim
    In winter things get worse as tyres rubber is less flexible
    left the forum March 2023
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    Only advice would be that which has been given on here before for tight tyres :
    Once 80% on go round the fitted tyre a couple of times squeezing the tyre and it's bead into the centre.
    I've used a tea towel to protect my thumbs as I puch the last bit if bead up and over the rim edge.
    Try a little water/washing up liquid.
    Try warming the tyre slightly hairdryer ?

I don't have campag wheels so don't experience the issue that others seem to suffer with these but I once stopped to help a clubmate who was struggling with getting a tyre onto a camag wheel and I just ensured that I had a tiny bit of air in the tyre, last but to go over at the valve, squeeze the tyre into the rim centre before trying to get the last bit on. Worked fine that time. No levers needed - scared of nipping the tube, something I've done in the past when I used to use levers all the time, now I never do so for tyre installation.
  • satanas
    satanas Posts: 1,303
    edited September 2010
    1. Avoid using Campag wheels or rims. (Or Fulcrum ones - made by Campag.)
    2. Repeat step 1 as required.

FWIW, I've never had problems getting tyres onto Mavic/Velocity/Shimano/Cane Creek, etc rims.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Stretch the tyre beforehand and get yourself a VAR lever. This bit of lit alows you to lift the tyre onto/over the rim. I'm presuming you have the inner tube in the well of the rim and not caught under the tyre as you go around.
    M.Rushton
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    andyrr wrote:
    Only advice would be that which has been given on here before for tight tyres :
    Once 80% on go round the fitted tyre a couple of times squeezing the tyre and it's bead into the centre.
    I've used a tea towel to protect my thumbs as I puch the last bit if bead up and over the rim edge.
    Try a little water/washing up liquid.
    Try warming the tyre slightly hairdryer ?

+1. I also put a bit of talc in the tyre before fitting it.

As well as trying with your thumbs, also grab the tyre and use the palm of your hand to roll the last bit of tyre over the rim.