CXP33 ERD different for '11?

Blue Meanie
Blue Meanie Posts: 495
edited October 2010 in Workshop
Hi all, tried to build new wheels last night, only to find the spokes I have (258mm) are too short by about 4mm!

I ordered a pair of Mavic CXP33 about 6 weeks ago and the supplier took their (my) time in supplying them, so now these are apparently 2011 rims! I calculated my spoke length on the info I could find for 2010 CXP33's weeks previously. Can there honestly be that much of a difference? I can't find anything on internet to say these are now different.

I did only try to lace up the front (radial), and will try the rear tonight (3 cross at 276mm).

I've checked the hub dimensions with vernier calipers, all good.

So, my question is: Does anyone know of any difference between 2010 and 2011? And, am I really this stupid?

ERD of CXP33 = 599 from DT Spoke calc
= 595 from Mavic (+3 as they base their measurements differently)

Could there be a real difference between Sapim 14mm nipples and DT nipples? I infer from the web that the Sapim 14mm affect spoke calculation as if they were 12mm DT. Can anyone confirm this?

FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc

Comments

• schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    So did you use 595 or 599??

I used 599 and built DT Swiss Aerolite and 14mm ProLoc Nipples with no problem.

If you used 595 then there is your 4 mm

What hubs are you using? The 276mm for 3x seems short too. I was using a PowerTap hub (dia 70mm, C-L 32.4mm, C-R 17.4mm) and using Roger Musson's spoke length calculator 3x NDS is 294.0 and 3x DS 292.8
  • Maybe you can find some info here at the mavic dealer website

www.tech-mavic.com/tech-mavic/technical ... /index.php

user name, "mavic-com"

password "dealer"
  • Err, I have an admission...

On DT Spokecalc, where you enter the diameter for the spoke holes on your hub, I entered 32! As in 32 of them, not 32mm diameter of your spoke hole. :oops:

Now, when I enter more relevent and accurate data I get more appropriate and accurate results. Phew, I thought the world had gone mad, turns out it was me along.

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    I shouldn't but......:lol:

never mind...live and learn!! At least you've sorted it now and can order the right spokes.

I can't recommend Roger Musson's calculator enough

http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/spokecalc/

Easy to use and does exactly what it says on the tin.

His book is good too.
  • Good News!
    Shop I bought them from will take them back even though they were 'Special Order'.
    272's and 293's on the way 8)

FCN4 - Fixie Inc