Ever wondered what Schwalbe Marathon X-section looks like?

Valy
Valy Posts: 1,321
edited September 2010 in Commuting chat
I have and since I had a pretty much new SM with shredded wire lying around I though, oh, why not cut it and see what this yellow layer looks like in reality.

So here are some [compact camera] macros:
img3360i.th.jpg
img3350s.th.jpg
img3351x.th.jpg
img3352j.th.jpg
img3356h.th.jpg
img3357u.th.jpg
img3358t.th.jpg
img3359w.th.jpg

PS - where the yellow stuff looks off-centre, it's just that - it only looks so, but is in fat in the middle if you compare to the pattern on both sides.

Comments

• My main question to do with these tyres is whether I'd manage to get them on my rims without breaking tyre-levers and generally shedding blood, and then, once on, whether I'd be able to mend a rare puncture on a cold, wet windy night without simultaneously destroying the rim and breaking my fingers and heart.

That said, the yellow bit seen from side on looks like marzipan. :wink:
  • I've thrown one out that wouldn't stay on the rim. 4 rims I've tried it on and its violently blown off each one. majorly p**sed off by it.

no other tyre, including it's partner marathon blows off the same rims.

not sure whether to send it back to schwalbe to demand a replacement or if they'd just dismiss it as I'd have to fold it up to get it there and ruin the obviously faulty bead.
  • I've put Marathons on several bikes, and Supremes on one. The only one where I've had any trouble was my 20" folder, where it's a wrestling match, and only Pedros levers will do it.
    MiniLogo-1.jpg
    http://www.velochocolate.co.uk Special Treats for Lifestyle Cyclists

From FCN from 8 (road bike, beard, bag, work clothes) to 15 (on my Brompton)
  • Valy
    That's how the wire got snapped. After a few hours and 2 inner tubes of trying to make it sit right, I thought I had... until it slipped out - mind you the rim could be to blame here as it seemed a bit deformed and another tire actualyl blew out of it too afterwards. Surprised to ehar that you've tried 4 rims with no luck.

What size was it?

All talk about them being hard to put on - I've used a 26" SMP on my MTB and while it was harder to put on, it was not too bad. I think the Continental Travel Contact as quite a bit harder to put on.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    No!
  • Valy
    PBo wrote:
    No!

Most excellent for you.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Valy wrote:
    PBo wrote:
    No!

Most excellent for you.

prolly shoulda put a wink or something - just meant to be a silly answer to the thread title...
  • Valy
    PBo wrote:
    Valy wrote:
    PBo wrote:
    No!

Most excellent for you.

prolly shoulda put a wink or something - just meant to be a silly answer to the thread title...

270911970db35fdd4ca.jpg
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    I'll see your puny Marathon and raise you a Halo Twin Rail Courier Berlin edition :lol: ;

IMG_0109.jpg

IMG_0110.jpg
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • SimonAH
    By the way, still steel beaded but I can get 'em on and off using thumbs only - no need for levers if you've the technique.

• Valy
    Bloody hell - that looks very similar to Schwalbe Marathon Plus.

Never heard of this tire before. I'm contemplating between Marathon and Marathon Plus for my new bike. Schwalbe Marathon Plus 700x28mm weighs about 740g vs 475g for 700x29 Halo Twin Rail Courier and both seem to ahve a very similar amount of protection...

Have you had any trouble with yours?
  • SimonAH
    In terms of puncture protection they have been absolutely perfect. Went from three punctures a week on average to precisely none when I switched from Bontrager racelites.

The twin rail pattern means you're riding on a very narrow bead when upright but one that still has a water clearing channel down the center - makes them feel very fast. Banked over they are very grippy. Must say that I do rate them enormously.

I had one moulding error that gave me a sidewall weakspot on one tyre, but to be fair Halo said they'd never seen the fault before and replaced the tyre without quibble and by next day courier on the basis of photos I sent them.

Fitting is easy (24C) and I've now got them on my hack too even though the existing tyres were fine - pre-emptive maintenance!

.....and no, I don't work for Halo (although I am currently wearing a T shirt they sent me with my replacement tyre! :D

• Valy wrote:
    That's how the wire got snapped. After a few hours and 2 inner tubes of trying to make it sit right, I thought I had... until it slipped out - mind you the rim could be to blame here as it seemed a bit deformed and another tire actualyl blew out of it too afterwards. Surprised to ehar that you've tried 4 rims with no luck.

What size was it?

All talk about them being hard to put on - I've used a 26" SMP on my MTB and while it was harder to put on, it was not too bad. I think the Continental Travel Contact as quite a bit harder to put on.

+1 its a 700 x 38 one of a pair and the other is fine, as are the replacements I've added (Bit of OCD, can't abide odd tyres) LBS and I both spent ages trying the other one and other tyres, looking at rim and fettling a dual rim tape solution that at least let it pump to 60 psi (range 50-75) without deafening us and throwing the bike to the floor when it went. Unfortunately that fix lasted 500 yards from the LBS downhill before it blew out and nearly threw me under a bus. bizarre
  • Valy
    Valy wrote:

What size was it?

+1 its a 700 x 38 one of a pair and the other is fine, as are the replacements I've added (Bit of OCD, can't abide odd tyres) LBS and I both spent ages trying the other one and other tyres, looking at rim and fettling a dual rim tape solution that at least let it pump to 60 psi (range 50-75) without deafening us and throwing the bike to the floor when it went. Unfortunately that fix lasted 500 yards from the LBS downhill before it blew out and nearly threw me under a bus. bizarre

Daaaamn.

It's odd because I see Schwalbe as a pretty high quality brand - generally by comments/reviews/ experience with 26" SMP yet a very similar thing happened to the two of us. In your case it seems even more odd as I assume you had non-deformed rims! :P

SimonAH - grippy you say? Good rolling you say? Hmmm - I might just get them as BR seems to think they are quite good too. 700x29mm though! :P