Shimano 9 speed to 10 speed compatibility

racingt
racingt Posts: 108
edited September 2010 in Workshop
Hi guys, just tried to fit a new Shimano 105 10 speed cassette to an original Mavic Ksyrium and there was so much movement in the cassette body that it was unusable.
So is there a problem fitting 10 speed to a 9 setup?

Prior to that, the Ksyrium had been used with Shimano 9 speed with no issues. And the nine speed on the old Ksyrium had been fitted to a new Ksyrium, so no problem retrofitting 10 speed with a 9.

All help appreciated, but I suspect iti is as I have found out, ie, I've no chance of making a 10 speed work with an original (1999) Ksyrium
Thanks
Phil

Comments

• Shaun20
    Shaun20 Posts: 218
    10 speed cassettes generally need a spacer behind the block because they are narrower than the 9 speed.
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    you need this then it will be fine
    http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/shimano-shim ... prod14554/
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • racingt
    Thanks guys, but a spacer won't solve it. There is actually play against the body - it's not a tight fit with the splines.
    I originally used a Mavic cassette with shimano or Campag spacers, perhaps the hub is so old that it just isn't compatible.
    What beats me is how it worked with 9 speed.
    Nice Enigma Pasteyboy - I pick up an Extensor in 9 nine days!!
  • weapons
    weapons Posts: 367
    That's odd, I'd be surprised if the hub was too old as all 8, 9 and 10 speed should be compatible.

How many spacers are you running? There should be two for the ten speed cassette.
  • racingt
    yes thats what I thought about compatibility.
    Number of spacers isn't the issue, because the sprockets are loose on the freewheel, ie the hole in the sprocket does not marry up to the cassette body.
    Maybe it's a Mavic thing - I'll remount the original Mavic cassette.
    Phil
  • racingt
    Hi guys,
    just reassembled this, and it actually works - extra spacer did the trick, despite my earlier misgivings.
    Cheers