removing cassettes

petemadoc
petemadoc Posts: 2,331
edited September 2010 in Workshop
I'm having a bit of trouble removing a cassette from my wife's old wheel. I've never had problems before and I've got a chain whip.

Does anyone have any tips to get a stuck cassette off?

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Is it a cassette, ie one that slides onto a splined freehub and is retained by a lockring, or is it a screw-on freewheel?

The latter can sometimes be a bit of a bugger to get off; my last one I had to clamp the freewheel remover in the workmate, and turn the wheel to free it.

Cassette lockrings, provided you have the appropriate tool, should be easier to unscrew. Then the cassette should just slide off the freehub (and disintegrate into it's component parts if you're as clumsy as me)

Occasionally the steel sprockets have cut into the softer alloy freehub splines, and this can make it difficult to slide the cassette off.
  • petemadoc
    It is a cassette and in the past I've not had any problems, I've got the right tools, the lock ring thing and a chain whip.

What I can't do is undo the lock ring.
  • Moaner
    Moaner Posts: 117
    I had the same problem a few weeks ago. You need a long lever on the end of the spanner. I used an old golf club with the end hammer flat to fit.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Wheel (with tyre still on / inflated) on the floor and resting against your legs, cogs facing away from you.

You lean over the wheel, chain whip in left hand, spanner / socket with lockring tool in right hand, both engaged and handles horizontal.

Making sure they both stay properly engaged, push down hard on both. Something's got to give!
  • Mike67
    Mike67 Posts: 585
    Is the lockring remover thing the the little hex type without a handle.
    If so make sure you hold it in place with the quick release skewer so you can put more welly on it. Otherwise there's a good chance it will slip...lots of swearing and skinned knuckles (I've been there :cry: )

If you've done all that then as Moaner says, you need a longer lever or sometimes it works if you can get the chain whip and spanner close to each other in such a way so you can 'squeeze' them together rather than pushing them apart.

Good luck
    Mike B

Cannondale CAAD9
    Kinesis Pro 5 cross bike
    Lots of bits
  • petemadoc
    Longer lever did the trick. Thanks guys!