Jawbone versus Radar

Sammyw23
Sammyw23 Posts: 627
edited September 2010 in Road buying advice
Afternoon

Looking at puchasing either the Oakley Jawbone or Radar sunnies from www.eyewearoutlet.co.uk (mentioned on this forum previously - seem kosha and have responded to emails, they are also on the Oakley website).

Just wanted opinions on which is better and principally is the lack of peripheral vision on the Jawbone THAT much of an issue?

Appreciate everyone will have their preferences, just thought I'd put it out there on a friday afternoon....... :lol:
Cervelo P3
Bianchi Infinito
Cannondale CAAD10

Comments

• Jawbones don't work for me as the frame rests on my cheeks. Radars are fine, depending on the lens shape, so I would recommend you try before you buy! I think fit is more of an issue than peripheral vision. Go for M Frames if you want the most un-obstructed view, their even better than Radars 8)
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    no peripeheral vision problems with the Jawbone for me, but I wear corrective glasses all the time so maybe I'm just used to having glasses on.

My decision for the jawbone was based on 3 things:

1. I wanted prescription lenses (not an insert)
    2. I wanted to be able to have transitions lenses for summer and skiing and clear lenses for winter/night cycling
    3. I didn't want half frame glasses after seeing a pic of someone with a nasty cheek injury caused by the edge of a polycarbonate lens.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    Radars every day.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • Ive never had any problems with jaw bones, found them really good, on the plus side you can get lenses from all colours to suit you, so you dont need other glasses!
    Helmand Province is such a nice place.....
  • Another question - whats the best lens for winter riding.....clear, yellow or persimmon?
    Cervelo P3
    Bianchi Infinito
    Cannondale CAAD10
  • Sammyw23 wrote:
    Another question - whats the best lens for winter riding.....clear, yellow or persimmon?

Depends on the light conditions :D

That is of course the advantage of Jawbones, you get a two pairs of lenses so you can swap them about depending if it's bright and sunny or dull and overcast.
  • just got a pair of jawbones from www.eyewearoutlet.co.uk meant to be seconds I can't see anything wrong with them delivery took 2 days from ordering well chuffed
  • Yeah I spoke to them yesterday and they said if I tell them what I want from the website they will try and pick out a perfect pair. Nice!
    Cervelo P3
    Bianchi Infinito
    Cannondale CAAD10
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    Sammyw23 wrote:
    Yeah I spoke to them yesterday and they said if I tell them what I want from the website they will try and pick out a perfect pair. Nice!

Have a look at their sister site Oakley-vault.com. Prices can be slightly cheaper.
  • Zero issues with peripheral vision when wearing my Jawbones. They are a fantastic fit, no movement and IMHO they look the business :wink:

As far as lenses go I use my transitions in lower light conditions and switch to VR28 Black Iridium when its bright.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Definitely try before you buy. Some peoples faces just dont fit with some glasses.