Minor Chip to new bike - how much to knock off price?

richred_uk
richred_uk Posts: 167
edited September 2010 in Commuting chat
Just had a call from Evans saying that the bike they are due to deliver to me has a minor chip on the top tube.

DSC00154-1.jpg

Looks tiny to me (if horribly touched up after). They've offered £30 of vouchers as a good will gesture - fair price? The bike is a cannondale caad8 that I was paying £720 for.

I figure that would add on a decent saddlebag/ toolkit which is about the only gubbins I need anyway.

Comments

• spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Be interesting to see the answers you get to this

Recent thread ( in Campaign I think) complaining about minor paint blemish to drop out produced replies ranging from: -

MTFU through to dealer should be lynched and free bikes provided. Ok not that extreme, but still a wide range of views.
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    No biggie if it's only cosmetic, but I wouldn't just accept their first offer, try haggling for a bit more. Worst that can happen is you accept the £30 or insist on a new bike.
  • I would reject it, say you don't want it anymore. £30 is nothing. £100 would be more like it on a pricey (ish) bike like this.

No way they will be able to sell this for £690.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Depends, if the bike is to be subjected to abuse for a number of years and will pick up loads of scars (just like your previous bikes maybe), then accept the discount or push for even more. If like me all your bikes are very well looked after and don't tend to pick up scratches/dings then why should you have to look at that for 3 years?

Personally, I'd reject it.
  • rf6
    rf6 Posts: 323
    I'd be looking for a new frame, or a good bit more in terms of money off and / or vouchers. A new bike should look just that.
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    OK it's a minor blemish and won't affect the strength of the frame. I'd try and push for a bit more, but if it doesn't bother you too much then fair enough. At the end of the day a new bike should be just that, you've not bought it as shop soiled or damaged, and Evans couldn't sell it as new if you rejected it. I'd try for 10% of the value in vouchers, that's what I'd try to knock off the price if I saw it in the shop.
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • You'd be doing weel to get a further 10% off a bike which is already reduced.

Worth a punt though
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • solsurf
    solsurf Posts: 489
    Really depends how much it bothers you, so if it bothers you enough to ask on a forum I guess it is worth more than the £30 they’ve have offered. Personally as it’s a new bike I’d want a new bike in the right condition. If you were buying a car and it had a dink in it would you let them knock off a bit?
  • waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    As there appears to be a pube stuck to the frame, I'd be asking for a different bike on health grounds.
    Rules are for fools.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    richred_uk wrote:

Is that with the £30 as well? Good result regardless.
  • kelsen wrote:
    richred_uk wrote:

Is that with the £30 as well? Good result regardless.

Instead of the £30 - I think a reasonable result.
  • richred_uk wrote:
    Just had a call from Evans saying that the bike they are due to deliver to me has a minor chip on the top tube.

DSC00154-1.jpg

Looks tiny to me (if horribly touched up after). They've offered £30 of vouchers as a good will gesture - fair price? The bike is a cannondale caad8 that I was paying £720 for.

I figure that would add on a decent saddlebag/ toolkit which is about the only gubbins I need anyway.

That blemish would niggle me much more than £30
  • Mr Dog
    Mr Dog Posts: 643
    If it were second hand then ok, but new? Personally I would phone them and say you are not happy with the unacceptable £30 voucher. Ask them if they they can improve their offer. Stay quiet. If they ask you for a figure start high and work downwards.. stay quiet... be firm about the level of cash you want. Use phrases like 'damaged goods' sent without your consent.

Good luck hope you get 50% 8)
    Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    The free stuff looks like a good deal to me. I'd be fairly happy with that!
  • Mr Dog
    Mr Dog Posts: 643
    Oh forgot.. if you know someone who has bare faced cheek get them to phone on your behalf. Some people enjoy the haggle while others give in too easily.
    Evans can afford it. I stopped using them a while backed. They refused to price match a wheelset insisting they could only sell me each wheel separately.
    Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?
  • 10% and no less. 10% off is the going rate for this sort of thing.

ALL bike shops (even chains like Halfords and Evans) will be more than happy to give 10% discount on a bike with minor paint imperfections, just to get it off their hands. New bikes with blemishes are incredibly difficult to shift, as the vast majority of customers would rather pay the proper price for a perfect frame than take a measly discount in exchange for a frame which they are not completely satisfied with.

I know that even when offered 10% discount I would refuse it and pay the full price for a pristine frame. Invariably, I would do more damage within a month of use, but I know that deep down I would not be satisfied if my brand new frame was blemished.

If I were you, I would refuse and insist on a new frame. If you know someone with anger control problems, get that person to phone the dealer (pretending to be you) and demand a new frame AND the £30 gift voucher as compensation for the hassle.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    I guess people aren't reading the follow up message by the OP then.
  • Got to ask yourself - will it annoy you every time you look at it?

If it was mine, I would rather they had left it than got a toddler to try and touch it up. You could suggest that they offer you the equivalent amount of taking it to an automotive paintshop who would be happy to do a colour match and make a decent job of it.
  • ALL bike shops (even chains like Halfords and Evans) will be more than happy to give 10% discount on a bike with minor paint imperfections, just to get it off their hands

That didn't happen to me at Halfords. The bike was the last of that model / size in the shop, with noticeable cosmetic damage. When I asked to see the manager to discuss a discount the young sales lad looked nervous and said he doubted I'd get one and I had to insist. He came back saying the manager would see me in a moment. I waited, and waited, and....eventually he came along, spoke to the lad about another matter, blanked my direct look at him, and toddled off again. After some time I left without the bike rather than pay for what I considered damaged goods in a shop where the management treats a customer like a piece of...

I'm not particularly concerned about my discount, but what really got up my nose was the managers attitude to customer service. The young lad who served me was trying to be helpful but had done all he could. It doesn't take much effort/time to approach a customer (in a close to empty store) with a big wad of cash in his pocket and politely explain that such and such isn't possible but what can I do to help you/change your mind...

Jam butties, officially endorsed by the Diddymen Olympic Squad