Carbon fork upgrade- for 1' standard headset?

nickmurphy
nickmurphy Posts: 2
edited September 2010 in Workshop
Hi,
I was thinking of upgrading the forks on my old race bike. It currently has a 1" threaded headset. There are such forks that come up on e-bay: but I image I might have to change the headset.

Is it a straight forward process to change the headset, for one that will take a non threaded steerer.

I'm after a cheap solution so any cunning plans would be most welcome.

I have found a threaded set already but they have a 150mm steered and my current one is 120mm any ideas on how I might make it fit.

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• I gather you mean carbon forks with an alloy steerer tube, in which case you can most likely simply cut the steerer tube to the required length and re-thread it. If you are on friendly terms with your LBS they will probably have the specific thread cutting tool for the job, otherwise they are quite expensive to buy.

The alternative is to change your headset. That's no big deal, there's loads available in 1" size. Again though, unless you have some experience and/or the requisite tools, it's ajob best left to the LBS.

Bear in mind that threadless forks will required a "star" nut inserted in the alloy tube, or an expander bung if the tube is carbon, for the top cap installation, and you'll need a new stem. I'm also guessing that if you have a threaded steerer tube, which means a "quill" stem, then you will also most likely have handlebars which are ~ 26mm diameter. WHen you go shopping for a new stem, remember that, as most of them now are designed for the current "oversize" standard diameter of 31.7mm or thereabouts at the clamp section. You can buy stems in the older size, just not quite as common. Tend to be cheaper though which is a plus!

So, the forks upgrade is now possibly going to cost more for a headset, stem, maybe bars, bar tape.... :D
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • nickmurphy wrote:

Yes you can still find a 1" threadless fork & 1" threadless headset. Tokens are cheap for example. You'll then need to find a new threadless stem. You can always find a 1" to 1-1/8" alloy adapter pretty easily. Some stems still come with them!
  • satanas
    satanas Posts: 1,303
    I *DO NOT* recommend attempting to cut a thread on a threadless fork. You will likely end up with a very rough (and quite possibly undersized) thread, and may dangerously weaken the fork. Bear in mind that:

1. Most head set dies are fairly inaccurately sized
    2. They are intended for cleaning up the existing thread, not cutting a new thread from scratch
    3. They are likely to be worn out

You would need a nice new sharp die and plenty of lube to cut a thread, plus this is typically a difficult and tedious operation. It's not something that is cheap to do as it's both hard work and time consuming. Ask me how I know this. :evil:

There are three reasonable options:

1. Buy a fork with a 1" (not 1') threadless steerer, plus a headset and stem to suit
    2. Buy a carbon fork with a steel, threaded 1" headset and use your existing headset and stem
    3. Stick with what you have

Option 1 should be easy, but option 2 will likely require considerable hunting on eBay to find a suitable fork.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Number of available 1" forks is dropping.Got mine from Paul Hewitt.
    M.Rushton
  • nickmurphy wrote:
    Hi,
    I was thinking of upgrading the forks on my old race bike. It currently has a 1" threaded headset. There are such forks that come up on e-bay: but I image I might have to change the headset.

Is it a straight forward process to change the headset, for one that will take a non threaded steerer.

I have found a threaded set already but they have a 150mm steered and my current one is 120mm any ideas on how I might make it fit.

Many thanks in advance.

Changing a headset is never a straightforward operation. I have quite a lot of experience, but it still takes me about an hour and involves using tools that you don't necessarily have. It also involves a lot of bashing to get the old cups out and you have to know where and how to bash. The crown ring on the fork is also particularly difficult to remove, if it's seized, as it probably is.
    You have to ask yourself if this is a real upgrade, because certainly it's a lot of hassle. If it's the usual attempt to save 100 grams, it's probably not worth it.

A 1" threadless headset should fit your frame, then it's a matter to find a 1" threadless fork (not so many around), fit the headset (you need some sort of press for the cups) etc...
    If you go for a threaded fork, then it's all down to whether it's been cut to fit your current headset stack height... if not, this needs to be measured and you have to buy a threaded headset of the appropriate height... Campagnolo and Stronglight still make them, others, including Shimano, are giving up
    left the forum March 2023
  • satanas
    satanas Posts: 1,303
    ^ There are plenty of threaded headset options out there, including very high quality ones; the size isn't going to die anytime soon.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with a 1" threaded fork. I have a mid-90s Look fork on an old CF Allez frame, and while it's much comfier than the very, very rigid original alu fork, steering precision is much lower. I doubt it's much lighter either. IMO, the only way this whole thing makes any sense is to get something with a carbon steerer and switch to a threadless headset and stem. That way it's possible to save a bit of weight and perhaps increase both stiffness and/or comfort a little. These guys make a nice road fork, but not cheap (threaded is available too): http://www.woundupcomposites.com/specs.html Then just add a Chris King headset, etc.