Bump on the tyre

Mr Bungle
Mr Bungle Posts: 114
edited September 2010 in Workshop
Thats the only way I can think of describing it. Was going for ride today, pumped up both tyres and span the wheels as usual, and the front one looked buckled.
Closer inspection showed the rim was perfect, but the type 'bumped' out a little to the left (when looking down).

I deflated and inflated , but no better.

I even went for a 5 minute ride, but got paranoid as it did not improve the situation.

Any ideas what this could be, its obviously stopping me riding, which is annoying for something I though would have been so simple.

Cheers

Comments

• You be's done gone and got what sounds like an egg.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Mike67
    Mike67 Posts: 585
    Sounds like the tyre wall structure is failing/has failed.

If it is relativley new then I'd take it back, otherwise it's a new tyre I'm afraid.
    Would be too risky to ride it at any kind of speed.
    Mike B

Cannondale CAAD9
    Kinesis Pro 5 cross bike
    Lots of bits
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,861
    yep, new tyre needed. Not worth the risk
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    It happens once in a while. You hit a pothole, rut, whatever, and the casing ruptures slightly. Bingo, bulge or bubble.
  • Thanks for the responses

I was hoping there was something that could be done, but maybe not, you are right though I have no intention of riding with the bump (even though it is very small)

I did a bit of research when i found out it was an 'egg' one guy took the tyre off and repositioned so that the egg section was over the valve, and this sorted it, may give that a go out of interest :?:
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    How flat were they before you pumped them up? Are you sure its just not seated badly on the rim?
  • yeah its seated fine - they were not flat atall, just needed a few pumps to get them where I like them.