Chain

electricphase
electricphase Posts: 4
edited September 2010 in MTB beginners
OK ,so this a complete beginner's question-but that's 'cos I'm a complete beginner !
Need to change my chain .Got a chain splitter to remove my shimano chain and am replacing it with a KMC on ('cos I thought the missing-link system looked simple!) .To shorten the new chain do I just remove the links in the same way-i.e. remove the rivets with the chain splitter then take off the required number of links? And should I be aiming to have the same number of links on my new chain as on the old one to get the correct sizing?

I know this is a very fundamental matter ,but I'd certainly appreciate some advice! Cheers.

Comments

• Are you saying that you're swapping the chain simply to have a detachable link? SRAM powerlinks fit shimano chains.

Yes, assuming the chain you have already is the correct length, you should remove links to make the new one the same length. Most people advise changing the cassette at the same time as the chain.
  • No I'm replacing the chain as I'm having a problem with the chain slipping when shifting gear .Also when it's in a high gear it's quite noisy. I was advised to adjust my front and rear mechs ,which I have done following the instructions I was given ,but the problem persists .I phoned a LBS and they advised trying a new chain .The old one was probably close to needing replacement anyway .
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Give it a go, and yes, you remove links with the chain tool.

But if the cogs are badly worn, it may not work.
  • Try this quick video on calculating correct chain length.

http://bicycletutor.com/calculate-chain-length/
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • Andy!
    Andy! Posts: 433
    Try this quick video on calculating correct chain length.

http://bicycletutor.com/calculate-chain-length/

good videos
  • Thanks for the replies and those videos are really useful schlepcycling ,so cheers for that .

Supersonic ,forgive my ignorance but what cogs are you referring to? For further info . I had a new SLX crankset about 5 weeks ago and that's when the chain slipping started .I thought it was just a case of new components bedding in ,but after a reasonable amount of use in those 5 weeks ,the problem is getting worse,not better- hence the new chain.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Both chainrings and cassette could be affected.

Ideally you should use a new chain with a new chainset, as an old chain quickly wears rings down. I'd try a new one and see how you get on. May bed in again.