Computer with Cadence >£50

gary.hounsome
gary.hounsome Posts: 296
edited September 2010 in Road buying advice
Hi guys,

As the title really. Had a search with the search function and had to sift through alot of threads to even find one with a small list of computers which were not in my budget.

The ones i have in mind are the Cateye Strada Cadence for £35, Topeak Comp 140 £30

I see you can get the cateye as a wireless option cheapest i found it is £55 so may be an option but is it worth the extra £20 ontop of the wired version?

Are they waterproof? Cannot see this in the descriptions or are all computers waterproof?

These are they only ones i can find really any others out there i am overlooking?

Boardman would be an option but showing out of stock online and have heard it can be hard to read in sunlight.

Cheers

Comments

• Why do you feel you need cadence? Are you worried you're pedalling too fast or too slow? Both have solutions - eg. if you count pedal revs in your head and use the rhythm of the counting to see if it's greater than once a second (>60rpm). For too fast, most people's bums start to jump up and down in the saddle.

When do you want it for? Long climbs or all around? If you really want to learn to spin get a SS bike and you'll have a ball and develop killer power on the 4-6% hills.

I've had these meters before and like HR and, heck, even power, you get a feel for it (cadence is the easiest to nail) after a while. It becomes a secondary concern.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • i've got a cateye v3 thats been in my draw for about 2 months since wife bought me edge 500 :D was only on bike for about a month still has plastic cover on screen does about everything you need including HRM was going to put on the bay looking for £70 posted have box and all instructions

Rick
  • Why do you feel you need cadence? Are you worried you're pedalling too fast or too slow? Both have solutions - eg. if you count pedal revs in your head and use the rhythm of the counting to see if it's greater than once a second (>60rpm). For too fast, most people's bums start to jump up and down in the saddle.

When do you want it for? Long climbs or all around? If you really want to learn to spin get a SS bike and you'll have a ball and develop killer power on the 4-6% hills.

I've had these meters before and like HR and, heck, even power, you get a feel for it (cadence is the easiest to nail) after a while. It becomes a secondary concern.

I will use it all round mainly for the average speed time etc, as i use my iphone for mapping (untill i can get a garmin!!) but wanted the cadence option so i could monitor it for a little while until i get in the correct sort of rythem and consistency over the course of a ride.

Plus i would rather get something with as many options as possible for my money as i know i'll use them at some point.
  • Cateye is great for all computers. Wireless computers really suffer from interference tho but i've not had one for 5-7 years...maybe they use that 2.4 ghz communication method now so it might all be a lot better.

Check out Blackburn, I had a Delphi with HR & Cadence and liked the flexibility of the screens and the many lines of data you get. Cadence thing never really worked but I didn't care.

The Cateye V3 is not cheap but has HR and looks sweet in the flesh.

The Strada 9 is cheap (£30 at Ribble) but no HR. All the Strada are cool packages with the button on the bottom which you press by pressing the computer.

Finally, the Toepeak V16 panorama is hilarious, you'll never get bored riding looking at that thing. You might get distracted and crash tho...
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.