Cassette problems and queries re spacers

khumbu8000
khumbu8000 Posts: 59
edited September 2010 in Workshop
Hi,
I've got an okay knowledge of fixing bikes but have recently bought a Giant TCX 2. Great bike -highly recommended. The only problems occurred when i started swapping cassettes so I could have a pair of road wheels and one with cross tyres.

The plastic protector between the spokes and the cassette now rubs alot against the chain. Have I forgotten to put a spacer in???

The bike specs are here

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-GB/bik ... 879/39034/

Do I need to use a spacer if using a 9 speed cassette?

This is the cassette that it supposedly came with. If i swapped this for a 9 speed shimano cassette there shouldn'tbe any probs should there???

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=5045

Comments

• John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Oh no. You put that stupid plastic thing in.
    Your new wheels may not have as much clearance between the spokes and cassette hence it rubs. If your gears work fine on both wheels you have set them up right. Just get rid of the plastic. It is not needed if the gears are set up right and will not help much if they are not.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Typical American anti-litigation rubbish. If the chain goes over it will probably pull the mech into the wheel anyway with the same result. The correct fix is to set the gears up right and it will not happen. And they look cr*p.
  • John.T wrote:
    Typical American anti-litigation rubbish. If the chain goes over it will probably pull the mech into the wheel anyway with the same result. The correct fix is to set the gears up right and it will not happen. And they look cr*p.

+1
    "And the Lord said unto Cain, 'where is Abel thy brother?' And he said, 'I know not: I dropped him on the climb up to the motorway bridge'."
    - eccolafilosofiadelpedale
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I can't imagine any self-respecting Cannondale owner taking his shiny new bike back to the shop and insisting they install a frisbee behind the cassette.

However, if your chain is rattling against your frisbee, don't take it off until you have sorted out the problem. If the chain were to overshift and jam between the cassette and spokes, you could find yourself riding a fixed gear bike very briefly.