Max Bling Wheels -

Wheelspinner
Wheelspinner Posts: 6,559
edited September 2010 in Road buying advice
OK, disclaimer first. At my level of ability, I do not *need* better wheels. But.... I'd like to try something really special for a change. Bike is a Pinarello Paris FP carbon, Super Record 11sp gruppo. Currently using Mavic Carbone SL, Ksyrium SSC SL, and Fulcrum Racing 1.

The shortlist is:
Campag - Bora or Hyperon Ultra
Fulcrum - Racing Light or Speed
Mavic Cosmic Carbone Ultimate
DT Swiss RRC 1250 or tubulars.

Other than Lightweights, what else?

Not a fan of Zipp. They might be very good, but they look crap IMO. I want light and strong as first priorities, super aero is not such a consideration, and they have to LOOK good.

Opinions?
Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS

Comments

• nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Reynolds RZRs? They don't look that great but should tick your 'must be light' box.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    Why not go the full hog and get yourself a pair of Lightweights? Very understated bling!

Peter
  • northpole
    Oops - missed the 'other than LIghteweights' line!! But that's probably where I would look if I had a large wedge burning a hole in my pocket. That or Campag to complement the Pinarello.

Peter
  • HED, mad fiber, ax lightness, tune
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • KL.
    KL. Posts: 14
    Pro-Lite Gavia: Front 50 mm / Rear 50 mm Full Carbon Clincher Wheelset

Pro-Lite Bracciano Wheelset in black, although the silver is quite nice.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Planet X Model B's,only because someone always says this regardless of what the OP asks for :lol:
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    nimble wheels
    http://www.nimble.net/
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Lightweight or Bora Ultra.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    For bling boras look great especially on tour bike. Eastons are tasty too (ec90s?).
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    I meant to say 'your bike'! Thats spell Check for you.
  • SparkyP
    SparkyP Posts: 259
    northpole wrote:
    Oops - missed the 'other than LIghteweights' line!! But that's probably where I would look if I had a large wedge burning a hole in my pocket. That or Campag to complement the Pinarello.

Peter

Clubmate had these for sale.

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/forums/vi ... t=12726093
  • My LBS thinks Bora or Hyperon too

Only thing against Lightweights here is that nobody actually stocks them I can find to even have a look at a pair. The LBS can get them in, but...

And if you do have a problem with them, they go all the way back to Germany.
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    yes, i know where your coming from.
    i had the same problems in the past when buying absolute top end gear.
    you end up with 2 choices , either buy off over the internet , advantages if your not happy when they arrive , you have a legal right to return them . disadvantage is , serious agro if theres any warrenty issues.
    or you can purchase from LBS. disadvantages , if they got them in special for you , you feel obliged to buy. but if they collapse in 6 months time , you take them back , drop them on the counter , smile sweetly and say sort it.
    ultimately the choice is yours.
    although i have in the past bought mail order from a large online retailer, that also has a shop front, so if it all goes pair shaped , there is a final resort of doing the 250 mile round trip and strangling the bloke behind the counter.
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • Anonymous
    I'm in the process of trying to procure boras at the moment myself...
  • northpole
    Re Lightweight - Wiggle claim to have them in stock. For the sort of money involved, wouldn't it be possible to call them and arrange to visit their facility in order to view before buying? I'd like to think they would be more than happy to accommodate your needs.

Good luck with your bling search!!

Peter
  • northpole wrote:
    Re Lightweight - Wiggle claim to have them in stock. For the sort of money involved, wouldn't it be possible to call them and arrange to visit their facility in order to view before buying? Peter

If I did that might make the most expensive wheels in the history of humankind, given that it would require a business class airfare from Sydney to London and back... There's an extra 3 or 4 thousand pounds right there.. :lol:

Bummer if I decided not to buy them after that too!
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    I'm in the process of trying to procure boras at the moment myself...

I'm still spewing over the missed chance a while back to buy a set of slightly used Boras with tyres and cassette for a bit less than half what a new set of wheels on their own cost. Thought about it, ummmed and ahhhed way too long and missed out. Grrrrrrrrr...
  • doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    I know that Bespoke Cycling in London had the Lightweight wheels 1 1/2 years ago when I got my bike fitting done there so I'd give Barry a call to see if they still stock them. As far as I know you just can't walk in off the street. You have to book in.

Ok just checked out the website and they are still showing them as selling them:

http://www.bespokecycling.com/products/other.php
  • max888
    max888 Posts: 206
    Prologue in East Sheen, London had some a few weeks ago, if you google them you'll find their website.
  • How about a handbuilt pair of Gigantex carbon tub rims on Super Record hubs?
    Or a bombproof but still very sexy set of Ambrosio Nemesis hoops?
    Try somewhere like wheelsmith.co.uk
  • dcj
    dcj Posts: 395
    have you thought about Edge Composites?

they do superlight, carbon rims, various depths, clincher or tubs.
  • Anonymous
    dcj wrote:
    have you thought about Edge Composites?

they do superlight, carbon rims, various depths, clincher or tubs.

Only one dealer here in the UK and they are a little known online outfit. Unless you know otherwise?

(ENVE composites now anyhoo).
  • northpole
    I've got most of this thread wrong so far, why stop now.... given that the OP appears to be several thousand miles from UK, doesn't that make UK dealership presence kind of redundant to the topic/ decision?

Peter
  • Anonymous
    Heh heh.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    http://www.rar-wheels.com/en

Adrien also publishes a lot of wheel tests too - many of them are on his old www.rouesartisanales.com site.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • dcj
    Edge wheels can be bought in Dauphin Cycles, Dorking, Surrey and i think Barry at Bespoke Cycling also sells the products when i last enquired.

i suspect any new stock will have the awful name ENVE as NapD said.

Pledge or even Sledge would have been preferable to ENVE.
  • Wedge? :lol:
  • dcj
    Wedge, I like :lol:
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    If you simply want max bling then the only opinion that really counts is yours. If you don't think a set of wheels is "max" looking, buy the pair that you think is. For showoff purposes it's the only way to go because you need to feel good about the wheels.
    Sort of like a diamond ring for a woman. They want the one they like.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    doyler78 wrote:
    I know that Bespoke Cycling in London had the Lightweight wheels 1 1/2 years ago when I got my bike fitting done there so I'd give Barry a call to see if they still stock them. As far as I know you just can't walk in off the street. You have to book in.

Ok just checked out the website and they are still showing them as selling them:

http://www.bespokecycling.com/products/other.php
    I think Barry at Bespoke stopped doing them once Wiggle started ....