What are your bike cleaning preferences & tips?

sian_c
sian_c Posts: 101
edited September 2010 in Workshop
So, after getting a few punctures last week & having my bike up on a bike stand, I noticed how filthy it was :oops: If the weather's nice this weekend I might brave giving it a good, thorough clean.

I've had various washing things over the years, but never really found anything that works that well, except for a chain cleaner tool like this: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Park_ ... 000000655/

Thought I'd see what tips & tricks other people have for cleaning agents, tools for getting in those awkward places, how to get muck off said tools so they're not just spreading the muck around (one of the trickier things I've found!) And what about when it's all done? Do you dry it, use some kind of fancy water dispersing spray, & what kind of lubes do you use on the various bits of the bike?

All tips welcome! :)

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Wipe down after any slightly mucky ride with either a cloth sprayed with WD40 or a baby wipe.

Wipe the chain with a cloth sprayed with WD40.

If heavily soiled then spray with a cleaning solution like FS10 and gently hosed off (or use the hose brush attachment. Then wipe chain wityh cloth sprayed with WD40 and ensure all bits needing lubing are lightly lubed...
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    rinse (if you don't, you are just wiping grit into your frame)

Wipe and clean - minimal use of cleaner.

Rinse away cleaner.

DRY (or spray to displace water in the chainset).

Lube only if needed.

Done.
  • DaSy
    DaSy Posts: 599
    As NapD suggested, I clean my bike after every ride. If you do this, each clean takes about 5 minutes.

I use a fairly light chain oil, and wipe the chain with an old towel after each ride and lightly re-oil, leave for overnight and quickly wipe again before next ride.

I use an old flannel and a bowl of normal slightly soapy water to wipe down the frame and wheels, and finish with a quick wipe over with some minute wax every now and then.

It really only takes 5 mins if you are only wiping off the cack of one ride.
    Complicating matters since 1965
  • When my bike gets dirty, I just buy another one. :wink:
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • sian_c
    sian_c Posts: 101
    That's all well and good, DaSy, but I commute to work on my bike every day so by the time I get home I want a shower, dinner, and some of the evening to myself - there is absolutely no way I am going to clean my bike every day even if it only takes 5mins. If that makes me lazy then so be it.
  • You don't have to clean your bike every ride lol. I think once a month, just keep eye on chain if it gets filthy or dry.
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • DaSy
    DaSy Posts: 599
    sian_c wrote:
    That's all well and good, DaSy, but I commute to work on my bike every day so by the time I get home I want a shower, dinner, and some of the evening to myself - there is absolutely no way I am going to clean my bike every day even if it only takes 5mins. If that makes me lazy then so be it.

You asked for tips, and said they were all welcome, well, those were mine, but they didn't seem so welcome!
    Complicating matters since 1965