Too much bike?

dmlchi
dmlchi Posts: 2
edited September 2010 in Road buying advice
I currently have a 2005 Specialized Allez Comp - a mostly aluminum frame with carbon seat stays and fork. I've ridden the heck out of it for the last 5 years. I am an average cyclist with aspirations of becoming a good cyclist. I mostly ride by myself or in competitive group rides and seem to average about 22-24mph on the straights. I live in the Midwest.

It's time for a new bike. I initially thought about going with something like the Cannondale CAAD9 (or CAAD10 when available), sticking with aluminum for its durability, stiffness and the fact that I've never ridden anything else. I went to my LBS and ended up test riding the Cannondale SuperSix (the "entry" level SuperSix with mostly a Shimano 105 groupo). It was an incredible machine - nimble, oddly comfortable after a 2 hour test ride, and was very stable in the corners.

Here's my question; and I admit an odd one at that. Is something like the SuperSix too much bike for someone at my skill level? Kind of like pulling up to a stop light and looking at the fat 50 year old man sitting in a Porsche Turbo. Cost really isn't the issue, but I have never been one to buy anything, let alone a bike, just to have the "fastest" model. Like I said, I want to continue to improve as a cyclist, and part of me feels like I can grow into the SuperSix. But this is what the pros use, and I'm no pro, nor am I at a level beyond a Cat 4/5 rider most likely.

Thoughts/ridicule welcome...

David

Comments

• nope! You are buying a bike because you enjoy riding it, which ever bike you enjoy the most, get that one!

Don't worry about what people think, if you have the money and the desire they just go for it.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    dmlchi wrote:
    I live in the Midwest.

Shropshire..?
  • get the super six. just put some decent kit on it, ride and enjoy.p.s buy some rapha duds. a new helmet. some new shoes. and pose all you want. if you work hard. spend the money, you only live once, and dont feel guilty.
  • Noel PT
    Noel PT Posts: 627
    edited September 2010
    Get the Super Six, riding a bike that is comfortable and you enjoy is only going to make you want to ride it more! Besides in 6 months you may be all the rider you aspired to be and then at least you will have the bike to go with skills. :wink:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Get the supersix hi mod di2. Cos that's where this'll all end...
  • petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Get the super six, you know you want to, go on go on go on, get it

Sounds to me like you've test ridden it, thought it was amazing but then thought hold on do I really need a bike like this. Then you've come on here to ask the question knowing in the back of your mind that everyone will say "yes yes get the super six" and this justifies it to yourself that yes you can get it.

I'd say get it, you'll love and adore it, hey you might even ride it sometimes. It will keep you fit, it won't answer back or fart under the covers.

Get the super six!
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    Get the supersix hi mod di2. Cos that's where this'll all end...
    :lol:
  • Buy a £100 Apollo and give the rest to me :D
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    If you enjoy riding it I think that is all you need to consider.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    nope! You are buying a bike because you enjoy riding it, which ever bike you enjoy the most, get that one!

Don't worry about what people think, if you have the money and the desire they just go for it.

+1

If you like it and it'll get ridden then get it.
  • You may find its an incentive to keep your performance level up so you don't get accused of having all the gear and no idea.
  • andyrm
    andyrm Posts: 550
    Do it! This is a question we see a lot of in mtb circles...my answer is always the same. Just as if you had expensive wine tastes, collected abstract art etc etc, if you can afford it and it gives you that awesome feeling that only something you truly want can, then get it. You'll only regret compromising.
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    I'm a novice in real road biking terms - a decent rider in everyday terms.

I spent a 10 year savings plan on a superbike - and don't regret it a bit. It is way above my capability, but even so it still rides every bit as wonderfull.

Life is too short to wonder.

If you can, and want to, do!
  • I thought about buying a nicer bike, but I've already got two and they're not shoddy (Mirage/Veloce) rather spend it on holiday and with my gal :D but up to you. Happy with my bikes, yes can easily buy Dura-Ace or Super Record full carbon..
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • clx1
    clx1 Posts: 200
    I'm 55 and have two bikes that are better than I will ever be, I'd have a Porsche as well if I could afford one!
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Dude, if you came on here hoping to be talked out of spending your hard-earned, you really missed the mark!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    The thing is that cycling is one of the few road sports where amateurs have reasonable access to the same equipment as the top racers. I gave up motorbike racing because I knew I could never afford the kit needed to compete even at club level.

If you have they money and its what you want then go for it.
  • TimoH
    TimoH Posts: 120
    You don't need to be a F1 driver to enjoy a Ferrari (or a Porsche). Neither is completing the Tour de France a pre-requisite to buy a superbike.
  • ooh ooh, i want one of those! get it before someone else does...

my philosphy is to save up to get the very best you can afford and then end up buying something even better/ more expensive once your actually in the shop..i'm such a sucker for something new and shiny!

was the six the 2011 version or 2010? have heard of people in the usa starting to get these?? not in the uk till Jan/Feb time it seems - boo hoo
  • I'd buy it if I were you.
    You only live once. :wink:
  • spent a 10 year savings plan on a bike? hope you have more savings!

although the saying is "life's too short", perhaps a more appropriate saying is "life's too long" ...

that said, get the rig :wink: