Cyclocross bike <£1k tricross sport or uncle John?

badgerman26
badgerman26 Posts: 125
edited September 2010 in Road buying advice
All am pretty sure my next bike is going to be a fitter the flexibility. I have £1k on c2w. Like the look and ride of spech tricross sport. Tried the 2010 but no longer in stock in my size new one is now a grand but better wheel I believe. Read good reviews of planet x UJ. But this would be £100 more as they add 10% cyclescheme fee. Is it worth that over the tricross? Can't see the weight of the UJ ultegra SL in total. Any thoughts. I was ridding a Ribble 105. So keen on something not much heavier.

Any thoughts from anyone tried UJ vs tricross In london so can't ride the planet x.

Comments

• I think it's difficult to beat the Focus Mares... in my view the best crosser around by a long long way.

I own a Genesis Croix de Fer, which is robust and versatile, but very heavy
    left the forum March 2023
  • Is that ok for commute, touring, road or really cx racing? Not done a race yet. But do fancy building up to one.

Looks like have to wait for 2011 bikes to be released.
  • Thanks- Is that ok for commute, touring, road or really cx racing? Not done a race yet. But do fancy building up to one.

Looks like have to wait for 2011 focus bikes to be released.
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    I don't have any experience of the other bikes mentioned here but recently got a Kona Jake and am very pleased with it.

Rides well on the roads and is more than competent on muddy singletrack. I'll be commuting on it when Winter arrives and will hopefully use it for some CX events too.

Currently reduced to £600 at Grafham cycles.
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • Phate
    Phate Posts: 121
    You could also have a look at the 2011 Spesh Crux, just makes the grand limit!
    exercise.png
  • I've a Kona Jake the Snake which is an excellent bike. However, its gearing is 36/46 which might not suit you for a CX bike. But the ordinary Jake is a triple 30/39/50 for £600 and looks a great bargain at that price (actually I'm a bit jealous). Also mentioned the Focus Mares on sale.

If you do want to spend £1k then the UJ looks like the butchers dog and would soon wag my tail :wink:
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • darn annoying cyclocross have cantis I know just how bad these brakes are :-( Hoping a decent one will have V or disc brakes soon...and not a lower end Shimano groupset either.
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • Is that ok for commute, touring, road or really cx racing? Not done a race yet. But do fancy building up to one.

Looks like have to wait for 2011 bikes to be released.

The bike will do it all, the use you want to do with it will determine your tyre choice...

35 knobbly for off road or 25-28 mm slick for road and maybe a 28-32 with some tread if it's for commute on crap roads
    left the forum March 2023
  • Great thanks all.

Which of the above is best on roads if get some 25c tyres?

• The bike will do it all, the use you want to do with it will determine your tyre choice...

35 knobbly for off road or 25-28 mm slick for road and maybe a 28-32 with some tread if it's for commute on crap roads

+1

I've 25mm on at present, but will soon up them to 32ish for winter. If I decide to get a spare set of wheels that will have the 35 knobblies on as I fancy a bash at Cyclocross this winter. I've also been thinking of Schwalbe Landcruiser tyres, I see you can get a pair on ebay for £20, them might be an everything type of tyre.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • bianchi d2 axis

i got mine on the cyclescheme, exactly a grand

not if you live near newcastle though
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I have an Uncle John - since I got it I havent bothered riding my carbon race bike. Its a great ride - its done 120m sportifs, and with chunkier tyres some nice offroad stuff. The compact gears got me over the Tour of Britains climbs faster than my mates carbon bike too. I'm loving it.
  • cougie wrote:
    I have an Uncle John - since I got it I havent bothered riding my carbon race bike. Its a great ride - its done 120m sportifs, and with chunkier tyres some nice offroad stuff. The compact gears got me over the Tour of Britains climbs faster than my mates carbon bike too. I'm loving it.

What weight roughly is your UJ?

Also what tires do you use on road and off road?
  • No experience of the Planet X bike.

Bought a Tricross Comp last year. There are a lot of happy Tricross owners around (search this very forum), but would I buy one again given the decision today? Not sure!

Fitted 25c tyres - with the 32's it felt like a MTB!! Rolls OK now though!

It's no lightweight - I think mine's circa 22lbs (24-25lbs with winter kit on)

Wheels are harsh and the freehub's are soft. The cassette will cut into it very quickly. The lattermaybe true of many wheels unfortunately. But these are, however, the worst in my limited experience.

Paint isn't the toughest finish. Don't let any bags, etc rub against the frame!

Brakes!! Not the best but this is a problem for all canti or v-braked road bikes with STI's.

Other than that it's OK, but I will always dump it in exchange for my race bike anytime the weather allows!!

It is flexible - mudguards, racks, wide tyres, etc.

If you like the look buy one, just don't expect it too much. X-cross bikes are flexible, but with flexibilty comes compromises.

For me it's been a reliable winter / commuter - but I might opt for a race bike with Crud Guards given the choice today!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Not sure of the weight of my UJ - but its a similar weight to my mates custom alu bike - so not heavy. I use Conti GP4000s on the road, and for offroad I have a pair of Schwalbe Marathon plus 32mms for the bigger air pocket and they're meant to be pretty sturdy,