Which Cannondale?

dennis fire
dennis fire Posts: 6
edited September 2010 in Road beginners
Hi, I've been cycling for a few years now and have decided to treat myself to a new machine. I have opted for a Cannondale but I'm not sure which one to go for. My goal for next year is the Etape du Tour so I want a bike that will make that task more bearable!
Should I go for the Super Six Ultegra or the CAAD 10 Dura Ace? both are similar prices. Is the carbon better than the CAAD 10? Any opinions welcome.

Comments

• jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    It isnt about the bike... and all that
    then again... my Cannondale Synapse is still a joy to ride every time and time again..... despite the ups and downs it has had... whichever one you go for ... it'll be your best treat.
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    I have a 2008 Synapse Carbon Ultegra SL Compact. Love it.
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • What are you looking for in the new bike?
    "Let not the sands of time get in your lunch"

National Lampoon
  • Hi, thanks for the replies, I've tried the Synapse, it didn't feel aggressive enough for me. I guess i'm looking for a light, fast, exciting bike. Something that makes rides thrilling. I had a Litespeed machine that was great to ride so i'm looking to get that buzz again.
  • Looking forward to test riding the new CAAD10.
    Think it is available late next month...
  • bcss
    bcss Posts: 174
    obviously can't say anything about the CAAD 10, but can only recommend the Super Six, you can actually get a great deal on the 2010 models, they are on sale now, and as you might know there is no difference between the 2010 and 2011 frame, in fact the 2010 models have the better parts on (and also the colour scheme looks better)

Would strongly consider to exchange the Ultegra for SRAM Force, think you can't get a better bike than that 8) ... in particular if you're aiming at climbing
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    Hi, thanks for the replies, I've tried the Synapse, it didn't feel aggressive enough for me. I guess i'm looking for a light, fast, exciting bike. Something that makes rides thrilling. I had a Litespeed machine that was great to ride so i'm looking to get that buzz again.

Well I moved from a steelie to the Carbon Synapse, maybe its personal but it feels light and fast enough for me. My friend who has a Trek 5200 has taken it out and loved it. Using some digital luggage scales it comes in under 8kg with one large water bottles on it.
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • I've owned a CAAD9 for about a year and put a fair amount of miles on it. The CAAD9 is an amazing bike, extremely light (lighter than a lot of carbon bikes), stiff and fast. It handles like a roller coaster and makes short work of hills. I can't praise it enough. The only criticism is it's quite unforgiving on bumpy roads and the ride position is very racy, so if you're after a comfortable sportive machine, then maybe consider other options.

I have just bought a Cannondale Six Carbon and will be reluctantly selling my CAAD9. I would love to keep it as a winter/training bike, but I just can't justify it. The Cannondale Six Carbon is a lovely bike, similar geometry but surprisingly doesn't feel much lighter than the CAAD9. The most obvious difference is the smoother ride and it also feels stiffer when pushing on the pedals. I've not taken it on a long ride yet so can't make a proper judgement, although initial impressions are good.