Halfords bike, nice but good value?

Dmak
Dmak Posts: 445
edited September 2010 in Road buying advice
In the next week I'll be buying my first road bike, looked at loads!

Clocked this;

Boardman Road Bike Comp

Seems to be the nuts for the price. Admittedly for some reason I'm slightly against buying a bike from Halfords, was intending to get a Bianchi but not overly impressed with the components they ship with at the price point. Given my limited finance I've decided to reject all notions of romance and get as much as I can with the money I have.

Does anyone here own this bike? Clearly the bike is a good spec and lightweight for the price but is it actually good?

All thoughts much appreciated :D

Comments

• Great for the money - any doubts, just take it to your LBS for a check-up when you get it.
    Visit Ireland - all of it! Cycle in Dublin and know fear!!
    exercise.png
  • sundog
    sundog Posts: 243
    I'd go with romance.

The best bike you'll buy is the one you want to ride every day
    I like white bikes
  • SFT
    SFT Posts: 156
    I ride a Bianchi and love it, but got a Boardman for my wife recently. its a super bike but Halfords are a bit hit or miss to say the least. However as said before if you take it to your LBS for a check over you will be very happy
  • Don't do it recently purchased a boardman hybrid comp brilliant bike for the price but halfords customer service is a joke. Had to take it back 3 times as it wasn't set up properly. Still not right so I took it to my lbs for them to sort out. Getting loads of stick off my mates for having a hyped up carrera :oops:
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    Great bike for the money. If in doubt pay a few quid to your local bike shop to make sure its properly set up.
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    ffs,ffs, how hard is it to set a bike up anyway. do you have someone feed you at meal times? ive had more than one bike shop crap things up so halfords dont hold the monopoly there. id rather not have to pay huge amounts for someone to do what i can do anyway in a few minutes.
  • the new boardman range is in halfords in november so i'd wait if you're going to get one
    "Never rub another man's rhubarb"
  • rake wrote:
    ffs,ffs, how hard is it to set a bike up anyway. do you have someone feed you at meal times? ive had more than one bike shop crap things up so halfords dont hold the monopoly there. id rather not have to pay huge amounts for someone to do what i can do anyway in a few minutes.

Not all of us are mechanically minded but if you can do everything needed for your bike fair play to you. Maybe have a look at the comments at the bottom of the OP's post.
    Visit Ireland - all of it! Cycle in Dublin and know fear!!
    exercise.png
  • clx1
    clx1 Posts: 200
    I'll probably get blasted for this but here goes anyway, I'd go for the Bianchi. Think of it like a car, would you go for say, a very high spec mass market make or a bog standard premium make(Ford v Alfa Romeo). I think you would get a lot more pleasure from the "Romantic" Bianchi, the novelty of the spec of the Boardman would soon wear off. In spite of their huge popularity I have had a good look at the Boardman bikes and I'm not convinced they are all they are cracked up to be.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    CLX1 wrote:
    Think of it like a car, would you go for say, a very high spec mass market make or a bog standard premium make(Ford v Alfa Romeo).
    The Ford, of course, do you think I'm stupid?
  • clx1
    bompington wrote:
    CLX1 wrote:
    Think of it like a car, would you go for say, a very high spec mass market make or a bog standard premium make(Ford v Alfa Romeo).
    The Ford, of course, do you think I'm stupid?

Fair point but you know what I mean!
  • rake
    garrynolan wrote:
    rake wrote:

Not all of us are mechanically minded but if you can do everything needed for your bike fair play to you. Maybe have a look at the comments at the bottom of the OP's post.

it wasnt aimed directly at the op. i forget how (can't think of a repectfull word) some people are at maintenance. i dont think its beyond many people, more a case of cant be bothered.
  • CLX1 wrote:
    I'll probably get blasted for this but here goes anyway, I'd go for the Bianchi. Think of it like a car, would you go for say, a very high spec mass market make or a bog standard premium make(Ford v Alfa Romeo). I think you would get a lot more pleasure from the "Romantic" Bianchi, the novelty of the spec of the Boardman would soon wear off. In spite of their huge popularity I have had a good look at the Boardman bikes and I'm not convinced they are all they are cracked up to be.

Romantic?!? Bianchi's are overpriced rebranded mass-produced coke cans made by Giant in Taiwan..
  • Dmak
    Looks like I'm "probably" going to go with the new Spesh Allez 2011, it looks much improved on last years model, still not totally decided, really really can't wait to get a good road machine! So many bikes to choose from, then I have to choose a bloody colour!

It's a big buy, something I can't afford to get wrong. Appreciate all your comments, ta :)
  • Dmak
    CLX1 wrote:

Romantic?!? Bianchi's are overpriced rebranded mass-produced coke cans made by Giant in Taiwan..

AFAIK only the very cheap Bianchi's are made in Asia, from what I've read anything half decent is made in Italy, could be the reason for the price.

BTW would I get anything from a test ride? The thing is I've not owned a road bike for nearly 20 years, had some 5 gear thing when I was 12 years old lol. I don't really know what I'd be feeling for :roll:
  • rake
    well you are a stupid tw@t.
  • Dmak
    rake wrote:
    well you are a stupid tw@t.

We know this already lol! move on :D

Think I'll change my sig now, had to be done though!
  • rake wrote:

I agree. If a bike came with groupset and wheels (as in spokes, hub and rim) seperate and unbuilt, I could understand. When I ordered a bike onlone for the first time, the shop said "ooo it's hard putting it together" And thought in bits, or in semi bits.

And how did it arrive? Front wheel removed, handlebars rotated, saddle removed. With padding. Wow that was really hard setting it up, just needed two allen keys. I think the gearing and braking was pretty much spot on also, didn't need to fiddle with end stops.
    Bianchi, the novelty of the spec of the Boardman would soon wear off. In spite of their huge popularity I have had a good look at the Boardman bikes and I'm not convinced they are all they are cracked up to be.

I'd rather have a bike with higher end parts ie £1600 Boardman with Dura Ace then riding say a Cannonon £1600 with Sora. I can brag I've got a Cannondale...shame overpriced and low end groupset (and probably naff wheels) At the end of the day Bianchi, Cinelli are just a Brand...and that's what Marketing guys like to put on pedastal to us fools.
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • just noticed on the halfords site that the sale is on

team carbon down 200 quid to 999.99.. deja vu
  • bah nothing off the £1600 model
  • that was the first thing i checked :wink:
  • Soni
    Soni Posts: 1,217
    rake wrote:
    garrynolan wrote:
    rake wrote:

it wasnt aimed directly at the op. i forget how (can't think of a repectfull word) some people are at maintenance. i dont think its beyond many people, more a case of cant be bothered.

Quite true....

I always took my bike to a bike shop until i fell out with them, now i do all my stuff myself....after purchasing the Ice Toolz kit from Evans which seems to have everything i need.

I had the bottom bracket out for the first time the other night, never done a bottom bracket before, needed cleaning up and regreasing, same with the headset the other night, took all that apart and greased/refitted, i would never had done it if i hadn't fallen out with the bike shop.

And the best bit is, you don't have to wait a week for them to do it and be without the bike! :D

You Tube is great and if you have the correct tools, and the ability to read or watch a video, then there is nothing that you can't do yourself - trust me! :D
  • clx1
    CLX1 wrote:

The quality of any bike produced by Giant whether aluminium or carbon will be a lot better than any Boardman. The reason Boardmans are high spec. and cheap is due to the low quality frame.
  • clx1
    rake wrote:

I agree. If a bike came with groupset and wheels (as in spokes, hub and rim) seperate and unbuilt, I could understand. When I ordered a bike onlone for the first time, the shop said "ooo it's hard putting it together" And thought in bits, or in semi bits.

And how did it arrive? Front wheel removed, handlebars rotated, saddle removed. With padding. Wow that was really hard setting it up, just needed two allen keys. I think the gearing and braking was pretty much spot on also, didn't need to fiddle with end stops.
    Bianchi, the novelty of the spec of the Boardman would soon wear off. In spite of their huge popularity I have had a good look at the Boardman bikes and I'm not convinced they are all they are cracked up to be.

I'd rather have a bike with higher end parts ie £1600 Boardman with Dura Ace then riding say a Cannonon £1600 with Sora. I can brag I've got a Cannondale...shame overpriced and low end groupset (and probably naff wheels) At the end of the day Bianchi, Cinelli are just a Brand...and that's what Marketing guys like to put on pedastal to us fools.

A better frame with lesser components will always be a better buy than a cheap frame with higher spec. components. Brands that are successful over a period of many years are successful for a reason. The buying public aren't as gullible as you seem to think.
  • clx1
    rake wrote:

A better frame with lesser components will always be a better buy than a cheap frame with higher spec. components. Brands that are successful over a period of many years are successful for a reason. The buying public aren't as gullible as you seem to think.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    CLX1 wrote:
    The reason Boardmans are high spec. and cheap is due to the low quality frame.
    Do you have any evidence for this other than prejudice?
  • The quality of any bike produced by Giant whether aluminium or carbon will be a lot better than any Boardman. The reason Boardmans are high spec. and cheap is due to the low quality frame.

I have a Giant. But if you care to backup your claim Boardmans are "cheap rubbish"
  • i dont think i've heard a bad word about the boardman frame in any review off a lot of respected magazines...
  • clx1
    The quality of any bike produced by Giant whether aluminium or carbon will be a lot better than any Boardman. The reason Boardmans are high spec. and cheap is due to the low quality frame.

I have a Giant. But if you care to backup your claim Boardmans are "cheap rubbish"

Can't see where I claimed Boardmans were "cheap rubbish". Perhaps I should have said "cheaper is due to the lower quality frame.
    I base my comments on actually looking at the quality of the frame material in the shop, in my opinion the quality appears lower than other main stream brands, Giant included.
  • So you don't know the carbon fibre bonding process of Boardman and just going by the external look?

Which do you think is the better Blu-ray player, for example, the £3500 Lexicon BD-1, or the £500 Oppo 83? :wink: