Carbon Seat Post

superkenners
superkenners Posts: 169
edited September 2010 in Road buying advice
I'd riding a '09 Allez Sport at the moment with the standard Specialized carbon wrapped, two-bolt clamp post which I presume has an aluminium centre?

Just wondering if anyone knew whether I'd get much benefit out of upgrading to a full Carbon post, roads round here not the most comfortable!

Thanks
Allez
Brompton
Krypton
T-130

Never tell her how much it costs ......

Comments

• prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I got a full carbon post for my Boardman, it still kicks my arse! :shock:
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • I'd look into a new saddle, getting a Brooks certainly helped.
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    @ Father Jack

So which Brooks are you riding? You just said you have a B17SE in a box.
  • I have three

B17SE boxed, used but not broken in. Still hard
    Team Pro
    Swallow Ti.
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I'd riding a '09 Allez Sport at the moment with the standard Specialized carbon wrapped, two-bolt clamp post which I presume has an aluminium centre?

Just wondering if anyone knew whether I'd get much benefit out of upgrading to a full Carbon post, roads round here not the most comfortable!

Thanks

I'd say you would see a pretty much zero increase in comfort. Tires and tire presure are where comfort comes into play. Wider tires, lower pressure. Not much else matters with the exception of the saddle, and that's a whole new set of issues. Now a suspension seatpost is something to try if you just can't deal with a standard road seatpost.
  • sam_m
    sam_m Posts: 61
    I just got a carbon post (albeit a cheap one) and haven't noticed any increase in comfort (other than that provided by having the saddle in the correct position).
  • Thanks for thoughts, had a feeling that might be the case, will persevere as I am I think and think about tweaking my tyre pressures a bit.
    Allez
    Brompton
    Krypton
    T-130

Never tell her how much it costs ......
  • 28c tyres and 85 psi will go a lot further than a silly seatpost.

What you're probably getting at is the "vibration dampening qualities" we read about time after time. You can easily check this for yourself with a quick scientific experiement: take your current seatpost and crack yourself on the head with it. Next, take a £400 ax-lightness post and crack yourself on the head, note any differences in vertical compliance and please report back.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.