Bike Bags for Air travel.

ademort
ademort Posts: 1,924
edited September 2010 in Road beginners
I,m looking to buy a bike bag to take my bike over to the UK on a regular basis. Obviously some Airlines have a maximum of 20Kgs Baggage. I have seen several really quality bike bags but they all weigh in at more than 10Kgs and that dont leave room for much else. Can anyone recommend a good quality bike bag. Any replies much appreciated.
Ademort
ademort
Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
Giant Defy 4
Mirage Columbus SL
Batavus Ventura

Comments

• I think you'll find that most airllines charge you extra to carry a bike - but your luggage allowance in increased accordingly,

Rick

http://garstangcyclingclub.net
  • Make sure you get a bag with wheels, after travelling in and out of Geneva last week I wish I had.

If your bike is listed as sports equipment/special item, for example Easyjets limit is 32kg for that item. Your case then has a futher 20kg limit.

http://www.easyjet.com/EN/Planning/baggage.html
    I no longer own a Kona so the name is somewhat misleading.
  • gwillis
    gwillis Posts: 998
    I used a bikeboxalan great bit of kit.......... word of warning Ryan Air are a bunch of shits

charged me 80 euro beacuse my box was 4 kilos over and they refused to let me open it to resolve it so be careful
  • Pretre
    Pretre Posts: 355
    Polaris Bike Pod - it's light (5 or 6kg IIRC) but strong & not completely rigid so it can take a bit of abuse - costs about GBP200.

Travelled several times in the last few years & never a scratch or a dent - just make sure you don't use normal skewers to secure the wheels (buy the cheapest possible as they protrude slightly to the outside of the case & are very prone to bending) or,what I do is just put the wheels in bgs with a bit of padding in the bag..
  • try

www.thebikeboxcompany.co.uk

I have one of theirs - good value, not OTT spec or cost and does the job

has wheels too which are essential as an earlier posted noted.
    PS Never been charged to take a bike yet - change your airline
  • had a look at the evoc one yesterday, really impressed with it, a great piece of kit.
  • kinesin
    kinesin Posts: 100
    I used the Polaris Bike Pod recently and was very impressed. The bike hangs inside the hard case so doesn't the sit on the rear stay or chain ring. I put the wheel in bike bags rather than use skewers, loaded the rest up with shoes, track pump, lid, tool kit etc. 25kg in total, well under the 32kg max limit.

Thinking about buying one now, just a shame the handles/straps are a bit of pain then dragging it around the airport. But it's so much better than a my bike bag, stable, strong with enough flex that wheel didn't snap off getting it into the car
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I use a neil pryde type soft bag - but I pad the entire bike in pipe lagging. Its flown 10 or 12 times now - not a scratch on it.
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    I saw this one and it looks ok http://rose.nl/tassen/tassen/vlieg-en-t ... ail2=17088
    If i am allowed 32Kgs then this seems a good one for the price, any comments.
    Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura