What frame for this scenario?

ajoten
ajoten Posts: 321
edited September 2010 in Road buying advice
Imagine, if you will, that you weigh 15 stone and are hurtling downhill @ 35mph. What frame would you prefer to be sitting on when you encounter the mother of all potholes?

No silly mountain bike suggestions please.
Андрю
Alu is real.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    A sensible mountain bike?

I'd be quite happy on any well made frame be it carbon, steel, aluminium, bamboo, magnesium, scandium etc etc.

Now the wheels, well, I'd rather be on a 36 hole open pro...
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    it doesnt matter. most will have carbon forks. the wheels will give out anyway.you will have a hideous accident and the bike is written off. learn to look ahead.
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    A stable one that bunny hops (and lands) well
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    My Colnago! For instance descending the Tourmalet at speed and not realising that as you pass through the town of Bareges, the downhill section detours you through a large, rough car park complete with foot-wide and deep storm drains to cope with snow-melt run-off. Last minute realisation that the only clear route crosses an uncovered section of drain requires bunny-hopping in extremis - at 50kph you can go very high and very far! The pedestrians walking across the car park certainly got a hussle-on too!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    The forum seems obsessed with hitting potholes at the moment ? Why ? Thats the last resort surely ? I dont hit that many - by looking ahead.

Options are to ride round it, or bunnyhop. Clattering through it is my least favourite - but it shouldnt be a disaster ? Usually worst case is a pinch flat ?

If the roads are that bad, or you ride like Mr Magoo - get some fat tyres to take the impact.
  • ajoten
    ajoten Posts: 321
    1. You can look ahead as much as you like but if there's a 50 mph lorry on my shoulder I ain't gonna weave around that hole into its path.

2. Yes the roads are that bad round me.

3a. Note the section of forum this post was in. When buying a bike you're looking for all sorts of things, incuding peace of mind, so irrespective of whether I intend to ride over potholes or not, I don't want to get something and have the constant worry that I might have chosen the wrong thing.

3b. If you can ride any frame, of any price or any material, over any pothole, and they'll all survive equally well, that's cool - I can base any purchase on different criteria.
    Андрю
    Alu is real.
  • rake
    rake Posts: 3,204
    1. slow down until passed.

2. buy a suspension mountain bike.

3a. most road bikes will break equally well over potholes.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    NapoleonD wrote:
    A sensible mountain bike?

I'd be quite happy on any well made frame be it carbon, steel, aluminium, bamboo, magnesium, scandium etc etc.

Now the wheels, well, I'd rather be on a 36 hole open pro...

I agree.

I've done pothole hits on various bikes and the only thing I ever broke were some 28 hole wheels.

I weigh 13 stone (82kg)