cycling in the arctic

2600milespoppyappeal
edited August 2010 in The bottom bracket
ive just returned from my first proper cycle tour and as i had been warned... im now hooked, i want to do something else and i have started the vague planning of one. i am still in the research phase as i need to find out if this might actually be possible.
i propose to cycle to the northpole. there, feel free to giggle for a few minutes then carry on.
I would be the first person to do this but i need to know if cycling on snow and ice with panniers etc would work. i would need to wait untill later on in planning if i do this solo with a support vehicle/sleds or if i organise a proper expedition with multiple riders.
any thoughts/comments on this would be greatly appreciated, if you want to know more about the tour ive just done take a look at: http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12726402

thanks

Phil

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    You'd want one of these if you did try:

0811192537_Surly-Pugsley%20(6).jpg

Don't think your idea is feasible though. I think the terrain will be too rough and also riding a bike at -30 degrees Celsius or below day after day is just not gonna work.

Quite a different ball game to your jaunt through Europe as well.
    More problems but still living....
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Suggest you check out the Iditabike race in Alaska.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    How do you get your bike through the loft hatch ? Aw, cack, just re-read the OP title properly. :D

I'll get me coat.