Replace rear 700c with 26 or not

nordle1
nordle1 Posts: 9
edited August 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
I've got a 2009 Claud Butler Urban 200 on standard Kenda 42-622 700x40c and v-block breaks.

I like the bike very much as a compromise for 50mile cycle routes and also some rocky hills / forest track.

Have thrown the bike off 200 miles of rocky, shingle, tree rooty hills. Amazingly not had a puncture (brambles + stones everywhere). However, have now snapped a spoke and slightly bent rear wheel.

It was a cheap (£200) bike. If I want to give it abuse and not break it is there any mileage in changing the rear 700c for a 26? Or would buying a better quality 700c wheel be better?

Maybe Mavic A719 or A319. Go from 24 to 36 spokes.

Wiggle are selling a Shimano Deore/Mavic A319 built with 36 DT Swiss spokes for £72.

Any advice appreciated :)

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    if you want to go to a 26" rim you will need to fix disc brakes.

the V´s will not reach.

a lot of MTB are now going to 29" (mtb talk for 700c wheels)

yep new 36 spoke wheel would be my option.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nordle1
    nordle1 Posts: 9
    Cheers Nicklouse, I didn't realise that 29'ers were iso 622 and 700c in all but name. In my head I thought 700c was 28.

Learning new stuff each day :)

I'll try and fix the wheel with a new spoke and see how/if it lasts. Gives me some time to save for a 36 spoked wheel.

Discs would be nice, but not an expense I can really justify........Although I did burn the last set of blocks in < 120 miles... so maybe blocks are a false economy.