camelbak N.V.I.S worth it over standard?

Chivalry
Chivalry Posts: 48
edited August 2010 in MTB buying advice
title pretty much sums it up... looking at buying a new camelbak and probably gonna go for the Mule.... but was wondering if its worth the extra to go for the NV model?
Anyone used both? and can offer and pro`s / cons of either?

i have read a few bits and bobs but there seems to be an awful ot of conflicting info,,,
some say they cant fit hardly anthing in.. other say its to big.... some say the NVIS back panel severly eats into the internal storage capacity... while others say not...

Im not botherd so much about the price differnce... its mainly a worry that the NVIS panel really does reduce the internal storage a great deal... even theough the both have the same storage listed in the details...

Anyone had experiance with both? would be greatfull of a couple of well informed opinions b4 i splash out.. ( no pun intended!! lol )

:)

Comments

• CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    I've just got the HAWG deluxe with the NVIS, my back stills gets sweaty and wet but it's much more comfortable than the previous Camelbak I had. I don't see how the ventilation system eats into storage since you have a bladder between it in seperate compartment.
  • Chivalry
    Chivalry Posts: 48
    me niether... but thats what ive read from certain peoples opinions... is why i asked here.. hoping for a better informed opinion :)
  • Go have a look and try both on for size, these things really are down to personal preference.
  • gs3
    gs3 Posts: 249
    Don't rule out alternatives such as this which is supremely adjustable for fit and stowage, costs a little less and is made by Vaude for the Edinburgh Bike Co-op.

Just a suggestion...
  • Frodo1095
    Frodo1095 Posts: 252
    Given that the overall pack size for both is the same, then putting in the N.V. back panel will slightly reduce the internal compartment size. I own the NV version.
    I wouldnt say that it eats into the storage space, but you can remove the NV panel which makes the mid compartment feel a bit more spacious.

If it is a hot day or I am doing some more technical descents then I tend to put the NV back panel in.
    If it is a cooler day and I am just going for a ride then I take it out.

Best of both worlds :)
  • AndyOgy
    AndyOgy Posts: 579
    I just upgraded from the old Hawg to the new N.V.I.S. Hawg and it makes a considerable difference.

I can't see the advantage of the Vuade. It doesn't come with a bladder and by the time you've spent £30 on purchasing that, you may as well have gone fro the Hawg in the first place. Merlin Cycles was the cheapest place I could find it:

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop ... 0_1693.htm
  • gs3
    gs3 Posts: 249
    AndyOgy
    I see your point about not having an inclusive bladder but I plan on using my existing one anyway! My suggestion was purely directed at the "sweaty back" issue as the suspension system on the Revolution bag keeps the pack completely off your back and depending on your size or shape, it may offer a better fit.

I currently have an original HAWG but when it eventually falls apart (which will be very soon) I'll be getting a Revolution bag purely because it fits my 6'2" frame better than the Camelbak so I'll have spent less and be more comfortable.

Chivalry
    The choice is entirely yours. If you can borrow one to try before you buy then even better! If the NVIS Mule carries all of your usual kit then go for it - after all, it's only you who will be using it.

• mobilekat
    mobilekat Posts: 245
    We have 2 Mules and a Lobo with the air-director backs and find them great- we got the 2nd Mule so that I could carry more kit as we do lots of longer rides now, and we never seem to get 'sweaty back syndrome'

Plus we got such a good price on the 2nd mule it worked out as buy a new reservoir get the pack free- I love sales!
    Wheeze..... Gasp..... Ruddy hills.......
  • neninja
    neninja Posts: 424
    I bought a nearly new Hawg NV off someone on the other forum.

It's been superb - I've used it for long rides, fell walking and trips out with the family. Worth every penny - good storage options and very comfortable as long as the helmet carrier straps aren't over tightened.

For short rides I still tend to use a CB Rogue though - much smaller and lighter