Route Reading to Woking

thelawnet
thelawnet Posts: 719
edited August 2010 in Commuting chat
Any ideas? Going to be riding my new (used) Kona Ute home.

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I've only driven on the A322 and it's a fast road - a popular cut-through from the M3 to the M4. Doesn't strike me as a nice road to ride on during the winter months.

Not much help beyond that, I'm afraid.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    I would go via Wokingham, Bagshot, West End and Chobham.

If you have a phone with Googlemaps ect. that would help a lot, otherwise print out a map and some instructions if possible.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • thelawnet
    thel33ter wrote:
    I would go via Wokingham, Bagshot, West End and Chobham.

If you have a phone with Googlemaps ect. that would help a lot, otherwise print out a map and some instructions if possible.

I have a satnav.
    The Reading to Wokingham road looks fairly urban and low-speed, and I'm happy with the road from West End to Woking.

The bit I don't fancy is the A322, which is not in the least bit appealing, not least at duskish (should be passing through about 8:15pm): http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/inde ... 126214.jpg on a new bike.

I have a roof rack on my car, but I suspect the Ute is too long...
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    you could go via Frimley, Sandhurst, Wokingham, it's probably about the same distance and the roads are a bit nicer; wouldn't fancy the A322 at all.
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    If you go a bit further around to Camberly and on towards Crowthorne and then onto Woking that avoids the A322, cause that tis a horrible road.

Use the 3rd alternative route here (Foresters way or something) then work your way down to Frimley, and then along the B3012.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=wokingh ... =en&tab=wl
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • How about something like this? http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&sourc ... 8&t=h&z=15

I do the Sandhurst - Reading part in around an hour.
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    thelawnet wrote:
    Any ideas? Going to be riding my new (used) Kona Ute home.

From Winnersh (triangle-ish) to Wokingham (A329): in case of intense traffic, you can use the cycle track on the side of the road to avoid overtaking. It is fairly safe and cuts through the Winnersh Triangle junction, one of the most irritating to negotiate with heavy traffic (but pretty safe overall). I guess it might even make your journey quicker if you time it right: clue, you must stop at main lights on red, but might cross with caution at tucan crossings on red.

Definetely go via Crowthorne/Sandhurst/Camberle, that's what Outrunner ubove does.
    Even the A30 sees its fare share of looneys so reduce time spent on that one too mif possible.
  • thelawnet
    Well in the event the Ute just fitted on the roof rack, so it came home on the car. I didn't fancy riding in Reading one bit.
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    thelawnet wrote:
    Well in the event the Ute just fitted on the roof rack, so it came home on the car. I didn't fancy riding in Reading one bit.

It's not that bad... besides Reading is actually quite cycle friendly.