New campag levers with 2002 rear mech

photoleary
photoleary Posts: 48
edited August 2010 in Road buying advice
So most of my bike is fitted with 2002 components but a couple of years a go I changed the cranks to a Bontrager compact and, therefore, changed the front mech to a 2007 Centaur QS compact mech. I also changed to 2007 Record brakes.

I was thinking of changing my 2002 Chorus levers to new levers [just Centaur] as I think they may utilise my Record brakes better [sometimes when I brake they really feel as if I'm not going to stop. They just feel a bit spongy. They are new brake pads] and I was just checking to see that the new levers would work with my 2002 rear mech and my 2007 front mech.

Also if you think the levers will make no difference to my braking then please let me know.

I've seen on Shinybikes.com that they have Centaur Carbon Ergopower Levers 2011 for £109 and Centaur Ergopower Carbon Ultra Shift Levers 2010 for £140. I can't seem to find out the difference so any info would also be very much appreciated.

http://www.shinybikes.com/bike/11-Road- ... -Shifters/

Thanks.

Comments

• synchronicity
    synchronicity Posts: 1,415
    I think one of those levers is alloy... :wink:
    The new levers should work ok with your brakes...
  • Nope, they definitely say they are both carbon (but I might have got the prices wrong) :-(
    The 2011 ones are £115 and the 2010 ones are £140. The 2010 model say they are ultra-shift. Am I correct in thinking that they can shift through a few gears at a time. Have they stopped ultra-shift for 2011?

It's more will they work with my rear and front mech, not, will they work with my brakes?

Thanks
  • 2alexcoo
    2alexcoo Posts: 251
    The 2011 Veloce, Centaur and Athena levers have been downgraded to 'Powershift', where you can only shift to one smaller sprocket at a time. So the 2010 are a better bet and should work fine with your current setup.

Oh, and I'd potentially be interested in your Chorus ergolevers if you're getting rid.
    Alex
  • Thanks so much. Apparenty the 2011 levers are also only carbon wrapped rather than full carbon.

I would look to sell the old levers so as soon as I have decided if I am going to upgrade the levers then I will let you know.