lightweight hardtail advice

amarita
amarita Posts: 19
edited August 2010 in MTB buying advice
Hi folks, I've recently had my stumpy nicked so want to buy another bike. I ride mainly xc and the odd commute to work, llooking to spend a max of £1300 on a new bike. I've not kept up to date with all the new kit thats around so havent a clue what forks/brakes etc are decent. One thing that is important for me is to have a lightweight hardtail as being a wee short a*se I wouldnt be able to lift a heavy-ish bike up onto the roof bars of my car :oops: ....
any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    Take a look on Paul's Cycles website that have lots of decent HT's inc some carbon for your Budget...

I'll beat Bar Shaker to it there is also the Boardman Pro.....if that's your thing..
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • davewalsh
    davewalsh Posts: 587
    You could pre-order an On-One carbon whippet, under 25lbs, £999 with a Reba fork, looks pretty good to me !
  • amarita
    I've had a look at Paul's and like the look of the Giant's and like the fact that they're doing interest free for 6months!!
    The OnOne is that direct from the manufacturer? Just read a review of the carbon whippet and sounds fantastic!
  • davewalsh
    davewalsh Posts: 587
    Yes, on-one sell direct so don't have to pay dealer mark-ups. I've got the Inbred (steel frame) which is the same geometry but heavier and I think it's great !
  • amarita
    boooo just checked for the 16" and think it may be just slightly too big for a 5'5" female and without being able to test ride it out first its too much cash to take a chance on :roll: I can try out some giant's at my local bike shop so may do that first and have a look at the bikes on Pauls bikes website and see if I can find something there.
  • surfbodi
    surfbodi Posts: 23
    I've recently got a Giant XTC 2 from the cycle to work scheme. Its light, looks great and has a pretty decent spec for £995. I took it around my local trail center last week and it flew around! Dont think you would go too far wrong with one. Carbon on-one does sound mighty fine mind.
  • I'm happy with my Cube reaction RX, CRC have them at 15% off at present which puts them under your budget.
  • amarita
    has anyone any experience of Viper bikes? The name is new to me but looking at the spec on this it seems a great deal?
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=42022
  • oldholborn
    oldholborn Posts: 114
    Does your bike need to be new?
    Got a 15" Scott Scale.
    This bike is light!
    PM me if your interested.
  • nickfrog
    nickfrog Posts: 610
    amarita wrote:
    boooo just checked for the 16" and think it may be just slightly too big for a 5'5" female and without being able to test ride it out first its too much cash to take a chance on :roll: I can try out some giant's at my local bike shop so may do that first and have a look at the bikes on Pauls bikes website and see if I can find something there.

My 10 year-old rides a 16' On-one Scandal (same geometry) and it is only slightly too big for him, he is 1m50. I think the 16 might be OK for you. 2 things you can do:

1 - compare the top tube and seat tube lengths to your previous bike.
    2 - ask someone if they would let you try their On-one (most have the same geo as the whippet). If you're ever near West Sussex you can come and try my son's.

HTH.